Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody,

I'm on the look for a new bike, and I've narrowed my options to these 2 bikes:
the Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc and Specialized RockHopper Pro Disc. Both are the same price and are 05 models.

This will be my first new bike in 11 years, and I'm not up to date as far as quality and reliability goes.

I do mostly cross-country, and I will also use this bike to go to work.

Any good or bad experiences with these bikes? What would you recommend?

thanks!
Phil

·
Registered
91 Posts

Been lurking on this site for months, and finally thought I would throw my 2 cents into the ring...

I don't know how much reading you've been doing on this board, but spend several hours (or better, days) reading these boards and you will see some common questions you need to answer in order to find the best bike for you.

Here are some of the common questions you need to think about (in no particular order):

1. Your size (height, weight, ratio of legs to arms/torso, etc.)
2. Your budget (don't forget you're going to need a helmet, and probably want/need shorts, shirts, gloves and probably shoes for clipless pedals.)
3. Your goals (e.g. short-term I want to lose weight biking and build endurance, mid-term I want to improve my technical abilities and plan for my next, better bike purchase, and long-term I want to compete at least once.)

The LBS should be your best friend. They should fit you properly on the right frame. Take your time trying different ones out and take them for a spin before buying anything. The shop will let you.

I bought the '05 GF and I've been very happy with it. Total entry price was around a grand with everything I needed to hit the trails. I ride XC here in Mass with lots of climbs over mud, roots, rocks, and sand. Did I mention that I suck and hate climbs? But I'm getting stronger and smarter.

The clipless took some getting used to and I have the scars to prove it :D

The Tass is a mountain goat and responds well for my needs. After a few more rides, I'll have it tuned again since it should be broken in by then.

(For what it's worth, the other bike seems to be held in high regards around this site as well.)

Pick one, buy it, and hit the dirt - the rest will work itself out over time.

"I bleed, therefore I must be alive. That's a good sign, right?"

·
Registered
310 Posts
Tass

Ive got an 04 tass and really like it. the only thing i dont like is the fork (which i think has been upgraded for 05). i have not had any problems out of it and it has been a really good bike. i would recommend it to anyone.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
My friend used to have a tass and i rode it a few miles and had to stop. For me, and later him, the geometry was wack. It just felt off. i cant put a target on the headtube angle or the cockpit or anything. all I know is i did not enjoy riding it at all. But you may be different, so go try them out at your LBS.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Both good bikes

but yeah, it comes down to what you like.

Gary Fisher is all about thier genesis geometry, which is a long top tube, short stem and short rear triangle. This tends to strech you out in a more racey position while keeping weight over the back wheel for climbs. Some folks say too much over the back wheel, and Genesis bikes tend to have a light front end when crawling up steeps. I have found that the front also tends to plow a bit more than other bikes, but you can adjust your riding style a bit to compensate. Some love it, some hate it. I'm in between.

The Rockhopper is probably more a standard kinda design. Specialized loves to make thier bottom brackets pretty low, which helps them rail in turns, but tend to let you smack pedals on rocky techy stuff.

Either way, they are well made bikes, have a lifetime warranty on the frames, and you won't have problems as long as you don't abuse them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sydneyh8 said:
hey everybody,

thanks!
Phil
I can only comment on the Rockhopper. I've been riding a 'hopper since '99. I bought it on a whim when I wrecked my car and decided to commute by bike rather than get a rental car. I've ridden it off and on since then, but never enough in my opinion. In the last year, I've been putting the miles on it. Recently, due to health issues, I put my car keys on the dresser and decided to ride my bike instead of drive. So far, so good. In consideration of my commitment, I decided I could justify upgrading my ride. Although I only paid $400 for my rigid steel rockhopper new in '99, I haven't been able to find a ride I like better for my use (kind of rugged city commuting, jumping curbs, pot holes, sand patches, etc, riding semi slicks). I've tried hybrids, including sirrus, and stumpjumpers, and new Rockhoppers, and a few others, but so far I haven't found anything to make me change my low end ride. Hopefully I will, as I'm determined to upgrade, but so far, the low end Rockhopper still feels the best.

On my list to research/try Rocky Mountain Blizzard, Jamis Dakota, Jamis Dragon, Kelly Ro Sham Bo, a couple of Konas. All in steel, all to be converted to rigid forks if they don't already have them.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.