Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just went by the bike store and was turned on to yet another bike The Gary Fisher TASS (tassajara) Its a 06 model and is on sale for 519 $ It dosn't have the disk brakes but from what I was told is the brakes on the cannondale 5F are mechanical not hydrolic so there almost the same as regular brakes .. I also liked the "lock out" feature on the front forks . the sales man said in his opinion this bike is the best bang for the buck with better components then the F5 and others at this price range and also said this bike is a 700 dollor bike on sale since its last years model . Anyone have any opinions on this bike and the price ? don't forget I'm in the 5 to 600 dollor price range .

Other bikes I was looking at were the Cannondale F5 and the GT Avalanche

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Tass is a nice bike

Only you can decide if it's right for you. The price is good. As for the salesman intimating that rim brakes and mechanical discs are austensibly the same, too many factors to debate, but in general, a good disc brake outperforns a good rim brake for a number of reasons. Read the FAQ section in the upper right hand corner of the "Brake Time" forum and decide for yourself the pros and cons of disc vs rim.

All in all, it looks like you have some nice bikes to choose from.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks . Well I might of meshed his words a bit . what he really said was that the mechanical disc brakes were noisy and not that grate along with maintenance , His comments were also that if your not riding in wet or muddy conditions all that much then disc brakes are not really needed . I'm not going to Lie even if I'm not going to use disc brakes they sure do look cool . the good thing about the Fisher is its set up so you can upgrade to disc . I read allot of reviews on the dale F5 saying the brakes were not that great . I think if I got the Tass I could later upgrade to hydrolic disc if I wanted to

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Sounds about right

What you just said about disc brakes is absolutely correct. And the salesman is right that the Tass comes with disc compatible hubs. This is great, because if you choose to upgrade to discs, you won't have to buy a new wheelset! Just the disc brakes. Many other bikes in this range that have rim brakes don't have disc compatible wheelsets.

Keep us posted on how the search goes.

Bob

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
The Tass is a good bike and will serve you well. I thrashed a Marlin for about a year when I got back into the sport (6' 250+lbs at the time) and it held up just fine.

As CMC said, the bike has the hubs you need if you decide to go to discs in the future... I personally have made the switch, but as a bigger rider up here near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada I see a lot of wet and sticky mud...plus with my big size I need a lot of power and don't want to grind up my rims to get it.

For you, discs may not be as critical but if you go Tass you'll have a good frame to use as a start for any future upgrades.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

So We got our bikes yesterday and we both love them . (Gary Fisher Tasajara) The only thing changed on the bikes was were the seats . We already hit it this morning and had a great time .Almost didn't cause of the cold , Who new it dropped below 65 in LA ? but glad we did , . I was a bit worried my girl would not like it and complain and we wouldn't go that much but it went the other way . She Loved it as did I , We can't wait to go again . Thanks for all the great advice:thumbsup: .. Picture in the Santa Monica Mountains over looking the Ocean ,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.