Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
As I understand Fisher geometry, they pair the longer top tube with a shorter stem, and some tweaks to the fork geometry.

The cockpit should have a fairly traditional length, between the two changes. They still run longer than something like a 4300, according to the charts, but to my eye the 4300 runs a bit short.

Glad you're enjoying the new bike. This forum always loves pics. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will post some pics in the near future. It isn't anything fancy, compared to some of the sweet rides I have seen on here. Just a blue Advance. Just been riding the neighborhood thus far, but it needs to get some dirt on it.
I am thinking I will be on MTBR quite a bit as I get back into the sport. I am still reading up on Sheldon Brown's site. That is one.. interesting... dude. Ton of information out there. I can waste a buttload of time at work now ;)

I have been looking for some good trails around my neck of the woods and found gpstrailsource.com which has maps of places and includes the difficulty of the trails.

Now to get my buddy at work convinced to get a bike too.

Looking for some cheap/decent GPS devices now.

I can see it can be VERY easy to spend a good bit of cash on this... :eek:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well...I finally pulled the trigger on a mountain bike. I ended up going with a Windsor Cliff 4500 instead of the Gary Fisher. I ordered it this morning for $300 - see the link below.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/windsor_cliff4500_x_sale.htm

I had actually explored lots of options before deciding on the Windsor, but was really impressed with the look of the new 4500, which has a new frame and components compared to the old 4500, but sells for $50 less. Some components were similar to Trek and Gary Fisher models at pricepoints of $550+ (Shimano Alivio rear deraillur, Tektro Novella brakes - ok, so that's only two but we will see how the other components hold up). :eek: The Windsor has a shorter top tube (a difference of about 1.25 inches), but as Andrew pointed out, the Fisher might have been too long for me (I'm 5'7.5" tall on a good day). :D

Before making my purchase, I asked the guy in the Youtube video referenced above how his Windsor 4700 was holding up, and he is very happy with it after 500 miles on it. In a side by side comparison of the bikes, the only differences are the forks, rear deraillur, and perhaps the cassette, but everything else looks identical. I might have paid the $80 extra for the 4700 had it not come in a yellow color, but I also really liked the 4500 black. :thumbsup:

Anyway, we will see how this works out. I'm excited about it and think I got a good deal. I will mostly be riding singletrack and won't be doing any crazy jumps or drops (my 39 year old body couldn't handle it anyway LOL), so I'm sure it will be fine. I have created a thread over in the Motobecane section, and will share my experiences and pictures once the bike arrives. You can read the thread here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=699026

·
Master of Disaster
980 Posts
getagrip said:
I ended up going with a Windsor Cliff 4500 instead of the Gary Fisher. I ordered it this morning for $300
Good move - Trek's entry-level bikes are priced for suckers. I don't see how you could go wrong for $300.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts