Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
dbfzurowski said:
I just picked up a Diamondback Response Comp for $499 for my fiancee.
Tora 289 120mm fork
X.5 front/rear derailleur with X.5 shifters
Avid BB5 brakes
Double wall rims!!!
Sram Blaze 3.0 crankset

Much much much better then others in that price range.
Hmmm, that is a nice looking bike. Will have to take a look at one of those as well.
I like that it has a locking Fork for the times I am on the road, and has disc brakes...
Hmmmm...
Where did you get the Comp for 499? The couple sites I found it are around 600.

I am guessing the Sport's SR SUNTOUR XCM 120MM SUSPENSION FORK are not locking.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just found a link to the hub section of the Formula website. Here are links to both the front and rear hubs on the Tarpon:

Front:

http://www.formulahubs.com/en/formula/?method=detail&aid=40

Rear:

http://www.formulahubs.com/en/formula/?method=detail&aid=41

How close are these hubs, particularely the rear, to the one on the website you referenced? To me, they look different and the ones at the Formula website look a lot more rugged, although I can see similarities (like the threads you mentioned).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bummer, I need a 19 or 20.

Think I will go with the Advance then. No locking Fork or Disk Brakes, but it will be through the LBS so I get the support.

Though maybe the Response Sport would be worth looking at. Dang, really wanted to get a bike in the morning. Maybe I can wait a couple more days of research.
No, don't think my patience will allow that... heh...

·
Registered
52 Posts
If i were you, i'd do the response sport.
at least it has double walled rims, so you wont have to true them every ride like with the single walled once. I assume @ 19-20 frame your a heavy guy

·
Registered
29 Posts
dbfzurowski said:
If i were you, i'd do the response sport.
at least it has double walled rims, so you wont have to true them every ride like with the single walled once. I assume @ 19-20 frame your a heavy guy
No I am not a heavy guy, at least I don't think so. But I am 6' which is what the measurements are for, which is why I need a 19 or 20. The guy at the LBS said I could do a 21 too, but that is a touch too close to my "boys" when I am standing on the ground.

The overdrive looks like a good option too. It has a locking fork, that has a lil less travel. but it 499.

Though I think I like the idea of buying from my lbs. I get a couple years of free tune ups plus the benefit of having a consistent sales and service staff. From what I can tell they seem like good folks and weren't pushy at all which was nice.
How much are they charning for the 2010 Advance? The 2011 Advance has disc brakes AND a locking fork, if you can get over the Orange color. LOL
The 2010 Advance is 439. The 2011 is 120 more. Not sure I am up for that much, and definitely don't like the Steeler look to it!! :madman:

Shame the 4300 at that price doesn't have disc brakes.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Don't get too hung up on disc brakes.

The mechanical discs on the Advance will only outperform Vs in the conditions that really mess up V-brakes - if your rims have slimy mud or oil on them. Sometimes those conditions actually screw up disc brake performance too, although it's definitely not by as much. Unless you wear the pad down to the backing, which I've never done of course. :p If you tend to ride in dry, or only moderately muddy conditions, well-tuned Vs are just as good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
AndrwSwitch said:
Don't get too hung up on disc brakes.

The mechanical discs on the Advance will only outperform Vs in the conditions that really mess up V-brakes - if your rims have slimy mud or oil on them. Sometimes those conditions actually screw up disc brake performance too, although it's definitely not by as much. Unless you wear the pad down to the backing, which I've never done of course. :p If you tend to ride in dry, or only moderately muddy conditions, well-tuned Vs are just as good.
Thanks for that. I appreciate it. I was thinking and hoping as much. My old Vs never really had a problem. Now what about locking shocks?
Does the 2010 advance or wahoo have that?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hmm, most of my lbs carry diamondbacks. As far as the fork, it all depends on what riding you plan on doing. If you want to ride a bike on streets ect. then you dont need a fancy fork or disc brakes. If you do xc then discs are a must imo and more travel on fork. I just started riding and mudd is everywhere

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I've actually never owned a locking fork. I don't like the idea of having yet another mechanism to mess with while I'm riding. Shifters are enough for me. However, I also skipped straight from the RST garbage that came on my bike to a race fork with a fancy damper. So take this for what it's worth.

Nobody "needed" more fork travel in the early '90s, and nobody actually needs it now. It can make it easier to keep your bike in control at higher speeds, though, and riding a rigid bike fast on a rocky trail network can be brutal. I actually am not sold on the idea that entry-level suspension forks are actually an improvement over a rigid fork, because rigid forks track well where crappy suspension forks can bend and twist, and they don't kick the way an underdamped suspension fork can. So IMO, to be an improvement over a rigid, a suspension fork needs to be reasonably stiff laterally and torsionally and have a tunable spring rate and adequate compression damping, preferably also tunable. I came to this conclusion after getting some miles on a rigid bike and realizing it was much, much easier to make it do what I wanted than my bike had been with the RST on the front. I don't know Suntour's forks, so maybe they're better.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hey Sandman,

I think the 2010 Advance is fine - definately better than the 2011 Tarpon. Even if it doesn't have disc brakes now, you can fine good deals on ebay for that sort of thing later when you have the money, but you will also need to get a wheelset that supports disc brakes as well. And as Mr Switch said, V brakes still work fine in most conditions, and will be easier on your hands because you don't have to press as hard to get them to engage.

Here are two other options I'll throw at you if you MUST have disc brakes and a locking fork for under $450 with shipping:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1500xi.htm

There is a forum section post here where someone purchased one at:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=685098

Here is the other option:

http://bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/windsor_cliff4900.htm

I don't know if there are forum posts here about the Windsor Cliff 4900 where someone purchased it, but there is a youtube video of the next model down, which is a 4700:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs_MUsdAgfs

The Windsor will have the longer tob tube, but it will still be shorter than the Gary Fisher tob tube.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I pulled the trigger on the 2010 Advance. I really liked the bike. Leaps and bounds from what I was used to 15 years ago.

I ended getting a 17.5 as the 19 was closer than I was comfortable with and the 17.5 felt perfect.

Also, the Forks can be locked. They just don't have the easy flip switch on it. The dial on the right can be turned to red and it is basically locked.

I think I can manage without disc brakes. Funny, how everyone says they are needed if you do offroad. What in the world did we do 15-20 years ago? I never had any serious issues with my Vs back in the day, even running through mud/water at times.

Anyway, I am stoked to have a bike again and now I am seriously debating making my short work day even shorter for a little riding before dark...

Thanks again for all the help folks!

·
Master of Disaster
980 Posts
Sandman69 said:
I ended getting a 17.5 as the 19 was closer than I was comfortable with and the 17.5 felt perfect.
Good move - I've been burned twice getting bikes without enough standover and swore that I'd never let that happen to me again. I'd rather deal with a set-back seat post or a longer stem than have another bike too tall.

Sandman69 said:
I am seriously debating making my short work day even shorter for a little riding before dark.
One of my favorite accessories is a set of lights for night riding on my local trails. I got a bar light, helmet light and flashing tail light (all quick disconnect) for $180. Makes even a simple and mundane trail a lot of fun. I took my youngest out on a trail-a-bike once and he couldn't stop yelling about how awesome it was to ride in the woods at night!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Clones123 said:
Good move - I've been burned twice getting bikes without enough standover and swore that I'd never let that happen to me again. I'd rather deal with a set-back seat post or a longer stem than have another bike too tall.

One of my favorite accessories is a set of lights for night riding on my local trails. I got a bar light, helmet light and flashing tail light (all quick disconnect) for $180. Makes even a simple and mundane trail a lot of fun. I took my youngest out on a trail-a-bike once and he couldn't stop yelling about how awesome it was to ride in the woods at night!
Yeah the guy at my LBS said I should be a 19, or could even do a 21. They didn't have the 2010 Advance in stock so I went to the Georgetown store and the guy there thought it was a little much and once I stood over it the 19 was right there. I definitely like a little more breathing room and can always lift the seat up. The Fisher top tube is plenty long, and the seat is perfect so I shouldn't need a longer post.

I will definitely be adding some lights in the near term. Among some other accessories. Still need a water holder and a pump. It is a lot easier to spread the $$ around on separate purchases. Its much easier to get by my "auditor" :lol: not that she would care really. Besides it looks better to me anyway... Thinking of buying her the 2010 Skye S anyway, so its all goood.

Now to start researching lights.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Took it out tonight for a couple miles round the neighborhood
Was a very nice ride
The cool thing was my 8 yr old son followed me the whole way and did great keeping up

It was a very cool moment. Looking forward to more of those moments

Now to get my 4 yr old daughter liking her bike

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Awesome! I made this post thinking that a Gary Fisher was going to be my next bike, but little did I know that it would mean someone else would be sold on the Gary Fisher! And don't worry about the guy who spoiled the Gary Fisher parade - I bet you guys and your Gary Fisher's will have a parade all summer on the trails! :thumbsup:

And Andrew, thanks for the re-emphasis on the 7 speed rear hub - I think you scared me away from them for the rest of my life! At this point, I'd be too paranoid to hit a small bump and damage the hub, so I'm pretty dead set on an 8 speed. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with a Fisher because the top tube might be too long, so I'm planning to go the Bikes Direct route. Just wish I didn't have to wait a week for payday! Of coure, I might change my mind again by then! :madman:

·
Registered
29 Posts
getagrip said:
Awesome! I made this post thinking that a Gary Fisher was going to be my next bike, but little did I know that it would mean someone else would be sold on the Gary Fisher! And don't worry about the guy who spoiled the Gary Fisher parade - I bet you guys and your Gary Fisher's will have a parade all summer on the trails! :thumbsup:

And Andrew, thanks for the re-emphasis on the 7 speed rear hub - I think you scared me away from them for the rest of my life! At this point, I'd be too paranoid to hit a small bump and damage the hub, so I'm pretty dead set on an 8 speed. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with a Fisher because the top tube might be too long, so I'm planning to go the Bikes Direct route. Just wish I didn't have to wait a week for payday! Of coure, I might change my mind again by then! :madman:
Yeah I was in the market and during my research I stumbled across the post. I was planning on a Trek or Fisher since that is what our LBS carries. I really like the idea of getting to know the folks there instead of one of the online shops or the sporting goods stores.

I am really liking the Advance. Though I may need to get a different seat. It isn't a bad seat at all, but I after hoping on tonight my butt was still sore from the last ride. I am sure that may get better as I get used to it. I hadn't been on a bike in ages.

I don't think the top tube is that long at all. I am fairly upright riding. I was worried that I would be hunched over and get back pains, but the only thing that is sore is my butt and my legs a touch from the work out.

Now to find some lights.
Looking forward to many rides on my new bike.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts