Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a Gary Fisher Superfly frame for what I think is a pretty good deal. It's just the frame, so I would have to build the bike to what I want. Does anyone have any friendly advice or warnings? I've heard of the frame cracking, but I honestly won't ride it that hard, and wouldn't be thinking of such a high-end frame if the price wasn't right for a used one. I know I need to check it thoroughly before buying to make sure it hasn't already cracked, but is there anything else I should be concerned with? Any advice on how to have a budget friendly build without taking away from the bike's capabilities?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'll be selling my 2011 XL SS Superfly frame shortly. Only about 4 rides on it, Carbon is just not my thing, prefer Steel and Ti. I just need to disassemble parts and will be posting up on mtbr classified.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Are you buying it from someone you know or at least locally? I wouldn't grab one from eBay or anything. But if you can get it from the original owner and work out a deal that he will process the warranty for you, should anything happen, then I would go for it. The problem with the Superfly and Trek carbon bikes in general(and non Trek carbon) is that you don't have to be riding hard for them to break. It can be somewhat spontanious. Granted, it's more likely to break when riding hard. But the Superfly is sub grade carbon, made overseas(unless it is a superfly100) Just fair warning. Unless it is super cheap and you don't really care. FWIW

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is relatively cheap, I think I can get it for $100 or $150. It is local, I will definitely check it out top to bottom before purchasing. I don't care if its $100 or free tho, if it has potential to break on the trail than its worthless to me.

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
zjenni01 said:
It is relatively cheap, I think I can get it for $100 or $150. It is local, I will definitely check it out top to bottom before purchasing. I don't care if its $100 or free tho, if it has potential to break on the trail than its worthless to me.
$100-$150 for a Superfly frame would raise a whole bunch of red flags for me. That's too cheap...

And the Fly is hardly sub-par carbon, it just isn't OCLV. It's the same stuff as any other carbon bike coming out of Taiwan.

·
Registered
448 Posts
theextremist04 said:
$100-$150 for a Superfly frame would raise a whole bunch of red flags for me. That's too cheap...

And the Fly is hardly sub-par carbon, it just isn't OCLV. It's the same stuff as any other carbon bike coming out of Taiwan.
I didn't say it was sub-par to say that it was bad bike or bad carbon. I just said it was "substandard" carbon in terms of what Trek's standard is. OCLV is their standard, but the Superfly doesn't use that. It is a Taiwan made frame that doesn't use the OCLV process, so it is of lesser quality. Not necessarily bad, although I would have to agree with theextremist, 100 bucks for a thousand dollar frame certainly raises some red flags. Almost makes you wonder if it was denied for a warranty claim and the owner just wants to get rid of it for any money they can get. I would steer clear.

·
Registered
613 Posts
zjenni01 said:
Never heard of a Superfly for that cheap, get it if you can look at it and no structural damage.

·
Trail Ninja
6,196 Posts
That's a suspiciously low price.

Superfly doesn't use OCLV, yes. They're pretty good at making carbon stuff over there, but I fear for the environment if rumors are true about their fabrication process and lack of environmental regulations.

Edit: I guess OCLV still is made in the US exclusively.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
theextremist04 said:

The guy claims he's broke and needs to sale all of his bikes as quickly as possible. I'm thinking he's probably already cracked it and stripped all the components off it. I was going to look over it very closely, but now I'm scared I'll miss something that is just getting started.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I think those kind of deals are possible, but few and far between.
Honestly, I would thoroughly inspect the frame, any small cracks in the paint or anything that might show signs of breakage. BRING ALCHOHOL AND A CLEAN RAG. Give the the bike a good cleaning with alchohol to remove any dirt. Inspect the rear triangle excessively and around the bottom bracket, and seattube/top tube junction. flex the chainstays in and out by pressing in on the dropouts to see if you hear anything.

I think for $100 to $150 its worth looking at, and not avoiding like its the plague, but just be cautious.

The reason why I say to have a look is there are people out there that just buy, don't bother doing any research, and when they don't like it...they dump it cheap. I picked up a Cannondale Synapse Carbon w/ full ultegra and Ksyrium wheels that was only rode 2 times for $650 in my size. Amazing deals are to be had, sometimes its just luck that it falls into our lap.

·
Plastic homer
592 Posts
3fast3furious said:
I didn't say it was sub-par to say that it was bad bike or bad carbon. I just said it was "substandard" carbon in terms of what Trek's standard is. OCLV is their standard, but the Superfly doesn't use that. It is a Taiwan made frame that doesn't use the OCLV process, so it is of lesser quality. Not necessarily bad, although I would have to agree with theextremist, 100 bucks for a thousand dollar frame certainly raises some red flags. Almost makes you wonder if it was denied for a warranty claim and the owner just wants to get rid of it for any money they can get. I would steer clear.
I have 3 Superflys - 2008 HT, 2009 SS and 2010/2011 100 OCLV. Guess which cracked.

The Taiwan carbon is fine.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,589 Posts
Too good to be true. Heck, there are a number of people who would immediately pay more for a unbroken lower end frame.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i agree with seven story drop. what do you have to lose? $100 is nothing when you start building bikes up. I just bought a SF frame that was new for $1000. You would be $900 ahead if it works out.
The one thing I have found that sometimes they are not just broke, they could be stolen parts/frames. Something else to check out....but I would jump on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts