Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have a GF Big Sur and am looking to buy a softtail. I have a budget and am looking for any positive or negative feedback concerning the Sugar 4. I am also looking for a 2005 Sugar 4 pic. I spoke with GF and they don't anticipate putting out their 2005 catalogs till mid september. The only thing they would tell me is that they will be orange and black. The color doesn't really matter to me. It's more the components. The question is do I wait for a 2005 or purchase a 2004 for a cheaper price.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. I already know about the chain suck and I only really intend on riding hardpack, single track and some light mountain trails.

Thanx

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
It depends on how and where you ride.
I'm thinking maybe Cake if I decide I need a FS, but I'll have to investigate further.
The Sugar seems to be too much overlap with my Big Sur.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sugar 4+ advice

i have a fisher 4+ (2004). if you plan on cross country type riding then the fisher 4+ is for you. you already have a fisher so i don't need to tell you about the bikes characteristics. like wheel base, length etc. but i can tell you that the adjustable shock is worth its wait in gold. you can go on any trail and adjust your ride with the flip of a lever. that can make any trail enjoyable. for all the tech stuff. go to fisherbikes.com all i can say is it would be the best investment you can make.

p.s. don't fall for the overpriced santa cruz, specialized etc. market.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Glen Rock said:
I currently have a GF Big Sur and am looking to buy a softtail. I have a budget and am looking for any positive or negative feedback concerning the Sugar 4. I am also looking for a 2005 Sugar 4 pic.
Thanx

Pretty much the same set-up...the new Manitou Splice Fork 70mm-100mm, Rock Shox BAR rear, LX - Deore mix, Bonty Crank, M505 pedals

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the pic..........I really appreciate the feedback.......Is the Splice suppossed to be a step up from the Axel???/

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah

The Axel has moved down the Fisher line for '05.

Sugar 4 - '04 Manitou Axel Super / '05 Manitou Splice

Tassajara - '04 Rock Shox Pilot / '05 Manitou Axel Elite

Marlin - '04 Manitou Six / '05 Manitou Axel Comp

I don't think they are making the Axel Super for '05...The Splice is probably just a re-packaged Axel Super. I don't know if it has a lock-out...probably does...we'll see!

·
Registered
144 Posts
My 02 Sugar 4+

Look on this sight and E-bay for a slightly used one. I bought a Sugar 4 a little over a year ago and have upgraded it to a Sugar 2 level without the Sugar 2 price. The bike is sweet, although I ride it exclusively in the 4.1 setting with a Cane Creed AD5. My advice about the sugars is this, check with an LBS to see if they are having the same Bontrager crank problems with the new Sugars. I had a hell of a time with my Bont. cranks causing me to ghost shift. I changed them out for XT's and the problem went away. Other than that, the bike will ride great. I do wish I had a better fork, but I love how this thing pedals and feels overall. My set-up is as follows:

Sugar 4+ Frame w/ Cane Creek AD5
Manitou Black Comp set at 100mm
Bonty Post, Stem and Bar
Deore Shifters
LX Front D.
XT Rear D, Cranks, BB, Hubs w/ Mavic 223's.
Hayes HFX Mags
Panaracer Fire XC Rear and Conti Explorer Front.

I love the set up, and nothing else so far has felt better. No noticable bob with the shock set up correctly. Good luck!

·
Registered
323 Posts
aspang said:
My advice about the sugars is this, check with an LBS to see if they are having the same Bontrager crank problems with the new Sugars.

I've been a Fisher dealer for years...and have sold countless sugars over those years. And serviced even more. I think I've had maybe 4 bikes that had a chain suck problems that bothered the rider and we had to switch out cranks and such. All full suspension bikes are prone to chain suck and ghost shifting because the rear cassette and the crank are moving independently of each other. As suspensions get better bikes will chain suck less. IMHO, the sugar has gotten a bad rap. I've owned 3 and have never had a sucking problem, but the same is true for my old Giant NRS too. I sucked a chain on a Specialized Epic a few times though. The problem with Forums like this is you mostly hear from the people who have problems and want a place to vent frustration...take those posts with a grain of salt. Now am I saying that Sugars don't chain suck???...no of course not...but I do think they don't chain suck any more than most other full suspension bikes out there...except the NRS and a few others. And I don't mean to Highjack this thread with chain suck stories...sorry! Boy that sounded like a rant....pardon me for that ;)

As far as the Bontrager cranks...you get what you pay for. I think the top of the line MTB Bonty crank is only like $150. XT M752 cranks are usually over $200. And XT M760 cranks are about $350.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again...I appreciate all the info and feedback. This afternoon I was able to demo a 2004 for about a two mile bike ride on hardpack desert trail. I have to say I was very impressed. Although I wasn't going all out, I didn't experience any problems. I pretty much thought it rode like a champ. From the reviews and having able to ride it a little more then a couple of loops in the parking lot,,,,,,it's now a decision of blue/silver (04) or orange/black (05).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glen Rock said:
Again...I appreciate all the info and feedback. This afternoon I was able to demo a 2004 for about a two mile bike ride on hardpack desert trail. I have to say I was very impressed. Although I wasn't going all out, I didn't experience any problems. I pretty much thought it rode like a champ. From the reviews and having able to ride it a little more then a couple of loops in the parking lot,,,,,,it's now a decision of blue/silver (04) or orange/black (05).
I have an 04 sugar and I love the damn thing. I have it set at 4.1 after today's ride and I don't plan on changing it ever. I could use a stiffer fork, the stock springs are too soft imho... there's some flex in them which annoys me, but she went where I pointed on an awesome downhill so I'm more than happy. Just get the 04 for a cheaper price, and be happy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 04 sugar 4+. you can't go wrong with the sugar 4. like i said before, don't get sucked into the santa cruz, specialized etc. hype. buy what works and not whats popular with the local crowd.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Daniel said:
I think 2004 Sugar 4+ is a great deal, especially if you get a discount on it.
We have an 05 Sugar 4+ in our shop and its badass for the price.

-TS

·
Registered
9 Posts
mymtbr said:
I have an 04 sugar 4+. you can't go wrong with the sugar 4. like i said before, don't get sucked into the santa cruz, specialized etc. hype. buy what works and not whats popular with the local crowd.
Sugars are great bikes and a great value. As for the Santa Cruz there is much more attention to detail and better paint. To each his own. It depends on what you want. For the dollar go with the Sugar. If you want to be a little different and have the cash to burn get the Santa Cruz. You won't be disappointed with either choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought a 2005 Sugar

First off........thanx for all the replies. I ended up buying a 2005 Sugar 4 from Adventure Bicycle in Mesa, Arizona. The guys at Adventure were awesome. The paint scheme on the Sugar 4 is sick!!!! Since I've had it, I done a quite a bit of trail riding. The bike has been holding up awesome. The only gripe I have is the rear shock, the Rock Shox Bar sucks. About every 5 to 10 days, it seems that I have to add air to it. I'm 5'9, 205 lbs and was hoping it was going to hold up well. I kind of knew prior to buying the bike that the shock had some issues but I had no idea it was this bad. I will probably update it in the near future. As for the new Splice/Manitou......I like it. It's seems a little soft at times but for the most part....it eats up every thing in it's way.

If your looking at the new Fish.....it's a steal for the price!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Prices on XT cranks

The_Real_Cyclesmith said:
I've been a Fisher dealer for years...and have sold countless sugars over those years. And serviced even more. I think I've had maybe 4 bikes that had a chain suck problems that bothered the rider and we had to switch out cranks and such. All full suspension bikes are prone to chain suck and ghost shifting because the rear cassette and the crank are moving independently of each other. As suspensions get better bikes will chain suck less. IMHO, the sugar has gotten a bad rap. I've owned 3 and have never had a sucking problem, but the same is true for my old Giant NRS too. I sucked a chain on a Specialized Epic a few times though. The problem with Forums like this is you mostly hear from the people who have problems and want a place to vent frustration...take those posts with a grain of salt. Now am I saying that Sugars don't chain suck???...no of course not...but I do think they don't chain suck any more than most other full suspension bikes out there...except the NRS and a few others. And I don't mean to Highjack this thread with chain suck stories...sorry! Boy that sounded like a rant....pardon me for that ;)

As far as the Bontrager cranks...you get what you pay for. I think the top of the line MTB Bonty crank is only like $150. XT M752 cranks are usually over $200. And XT M760 cranks are about $350.

:D I understand that some people have a business, but go on line, get a 02/03 XT crankset: they currently are on sale at several of the bigger internet retailers for about $100.00 even, and get rid of 90 percent of your chain suck/ghostshifting problems (Period) I have been riding fishers for about 5 years now, starting with a Joshua which had XT's on it the next bike was a sugar 2 that had bontrager, and it sucked (period) bontrager doesn't shift as well, it skips off worse and generaly is a poorer quality item.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts