Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i know its a wahoo and yes i know they were at the lower end but i dont care. i liked this steel frame, it felt very good. so time to build! everything on this bike i got for free or had already. well here goes...

original paint

semi-stripped

primed

painted flat black with matte clear

done with mavic X517 rims laced to Deore LX hubs, ZOOM original stem, WTB saddle, Avid V-Brakes.

RIght now it is wating for a dérailleur front and rear, brake levers (just ordered Avid FR5s for now, grips, and shifters. I will most likely end up putting 26x1.5 tires on there for commuting but for right now it looks sweet with these tires.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Nicely done....

should make a great commuter. Be sure to post up pics when it's completed. Not a thing wrong with the old steel Wahoo frames, not the lightest ever made, but durable. If it were me I'd keep a set of knobbies on hand for it as well, ridgeds are still fun to ride off road now and then! :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have an XTC for the trails but I figured I'd try this bad boy on the trail every once in awhile! Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its 99% complete. I am waiting on a problem solvers cable stop (the bike was made for cantis and im running v-brakes), and a front dérailleur.

Parts list:
Size- M (18)
Color- Black/ White/ Silver
Frame- Gary Fisher Wahoo
Fork- Cro-mo rigid
Handlebar- TiTec AL
Stem- Zoom Original
Saddle- WTB
Shifters- Shimano Deore Rapidfire
Rear derailleur- Shimano STX (soon to be LX or XT)
Brakes- Avid V-Brakes with Koolstop pads
Levers- Avid FR5
Cassette- Shimano Deore 9-speed
Cranks- Shimano STX two ring set up with bashgaurd
Rims- Mavic 517
Hubs- Shimano LX
Tires- Rear- Serfas 1.5 Front- Continental 1.75

Everything still needs fine tuning. I was just in a hurry to get things build (impatient is more like it!). So I have crappy pedals and stuff like that, no big though.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Sweet....

Nice build. Nothing overly expensive or sensitive so it should do well in crapy weather. I'm slowly getting parts together for an allweather commuter myself. Winter weather around here is absolute hell on components like derailleurs, chains, brakes, etc. So it doesn't pay to run high end (expensive) stuff cause you just end up replacing them in a about 2 years more or less.

Anyway, looks like a fun bike for the commute or occasional run to the cornner store for stuff. And probably still very trail worthy should that particular bug bite. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh the bug will bite to throw the knobbies on but the theme of this bike was to keep it cheap. However, I am going to have to work those wheels off because they were listed at $249.99 (i work at a bike shop so most of the goodies came from there)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts