Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gary fisher rig

5K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Jasonm23 
Rig eccentric

The eccentric on the Rig takes some "fine tuning." If not adjust correctly it will slid to the non-drive side. The shim that tightens it will also force it to move because it does not slid all the way into the housing. The problem of slipage can be fixed by either moving the EBB slightly off center or by shaving down the shim slightly so it slides all the way in.

If you do either of these, the eccentric stays and all is well.

In my opinion, the set screw type of ebb is much better.

The RIG itself is a wonderful ride. Too bad about the design of the EBB.

Jerry

adjusting the EBB on the Rig

The first few rides will be an adjustment period with the EBB. Most of them move (on the RIG) at first. We must have 10-15 folks on them here (Tucson, AZ) and all have had some sort of movement problems at first. One guy stripped the treads on the adjustment bolt and was basically screwed until a new EBB came in. Be careful with the tension on the bolt!
Also the nut the tightening bolt goes aginst to slid the shim OUT tends to loosen. Use lock-tite on it!
After experimenting with EBB positioning in the BB you will find where it will stay put and the amount of tension necessary on the bolt. Eventually it all works well, but it is pain in the ass.
For me, just shaving a small amount off the shim has worked wonderfully. I change cogs several times a week (I ride it every day for 2-6 hours in my job as a mountainbike guide) so the EBB gets used a lot.
It is a good idea to have your LBS order in a spare EBB for the Rig. They are not too expensive ($40 - $50 retail - we've heard you can get them for as little as $20) and it will certainly save you time if you mess up the metal parts inside by using too much torque when adjusting.
As for the 29er wheels. It's only money! I don't think any of the riders here has had a problem with tire size or the stock wheels. Have heard that the Bontrager wheels do not hold up as well as WTB.
Oh well, you can't get everything for under a $1,000 on a new ride. Still a very good bike at a very good price.
Jerry in Tucson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.