Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in buying a Single Speed bike and a 29" SS is really an interesting idea to me also. My only mountian bikes have been Cannondale's but the Rig seems like a good choice as well.

I will be riding this new bike mostly around town (urban & surburban) and on single track trails, only occassionaly on more aggressive trails.

I love the lightweight Cannondale and Headshock, however the 29" tires, positive reviews, and package the Rig offers is also very attractive. I have tested the Cannondale 1FG Ultra (Large) and briefly tried a geared 29" Gary Fisher (17.5", I think I need the 19"). I am still unsure of what to choose since my test was so brief and a limited environment (parking lot of LBS).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
227 Posts
RIG, you'll love it.

My first 29er, two years ago, second SingleSpeed.

I'm now riding my 5th 29er, never going to buy a 26er again!

Just try it! You can read the lovely reviews everywhere!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd go with the Rig. Cannondales are really nice bikes but because of their odd parts, forks, it does make it a bit more complicated to upgrade. You may have to jump through some hoops if you wanted to put a rigid fork on it then, you would also be limited in your choice of stems with the headshock. I'm not completly sold on the 29ers yet, i like to throw my bike around while I'm riding and the 29ers make that a bit more difficult. I'd probally go with the Rig so I could easily put a rigid fork on it, but it's your bike man. Whatever you get I hope you enjoy it. Not that you wouldn't cause its a singlespeed.

·
donkey
263 Posts
I'd go with the rig because of its versatility. Its more compatible than the 1FG, and it might even have cable stops for gears (not 100% sure). If your the kind of guy needing a 19" frame, I would say lean towards 29ers.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
nbrennan said:
I'd go with the rig because of its versatility. Its more compatible than the 1FG, and it might even have cable stops for gears (not 100% sure). If your the kind of guy needing a 19" frame, I would say lean towards 29ers.
Lots of great input so far, IMHO. :)
I agree with the above statement about a 19" frame. Hop on a 19" Rig and let the grin appear on your chin. So much bang for the buck and a truly upgradable frame/fork combo.
All the fast guys in my area are rocking the Rigs, some with Reba's and a couple with the Bonti Switchblade carbon forks. Oh yeah, they are all using the Bonti ACX tires in the slop and getting great, predictable grip.

OGG

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
I liked the component list for the price. The low end Bontrager Select stuff are all of the cheap upgrades that end up being personal preference choices anyway. I got rid of the pedals asap. They were in my opinion the weak spot of the bike. (Heavy and cheap SPD pedals. )

You can get lighter wheelsets and wheels and blah blah blah but I have fallen hard and often with this bike. In addition to banging the wheels on all types of things and jumping little things here and there these wheels are as true as the day I bought it. (1 year)

Never owned a cannondale but ridden a couple $800~1000 and from what I have pieced together their welds look nice and usually come with decent parts so it looks like you may need to just get on both for a real ride and then draw a conclusion from there. I'm only 5'8 (5'9 in heels and a wig) and I really like how the big wheels roll over everything like logs and roots. I like the cush the large wheels provide as well when landing and on downhills.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Maybe I'm Just Old School?

I own a Cannondale 1FG and am very pleased with the bike. The only upgrade you might have to get an adapter for is the fork, but why change what works? The headshock set-up keeps a nice simple look to the bike and works great in this application. The advantages I have found with this bike and why I am considering it as a basis for an upgrade to a custom Ti 26":
1) The EBB is a simple, clean, mechanism for dealing with chain tension. The Rig uses the same approach, but many other single speeds don't.
2) I own 2 other bikes and have spare lightweight and heavyweight wheel sets that fit all of them. All are 26" and all are interchangeable. (The VP Free wheelset has the wrong axles and hub width, but I can at least swap the tires.) This gives me lots of flexibility without having to but any more wheelsets.

I must admit I haven't tried a 29" bike and I was passed once by two guys who were riding them (yes they seemed to ride smoother over the river rock embedded in the mud), but I don't ride the single speed to go faster than others. I am either riding with others traveling at the same pace, or I am out exploring on my own.

Either way you can't go wrong. There are obviously lots of satisfied customers for the Rig.

G

·
marty_hd said:
Does anybody know if the Cannondale Caffeine 29er is going to be released in a Singlespeed version?

I am very happy with my Rig but have not ridden a 1FG.
CHeers,
Marty
I emailed Cannondale. msrp for the Caffeine 29er is 1650 usd and the weight is 29.5 lbs. :skep: Sounds pretty damn heavy for the price. And a hard tail at that.

·
your ankles are fat
335 Posts
had a 1FG w/discs and headshock it was 19lbs(not stock), sold the frame/fork and had buyers remorse ever since...

shishku said:
Rig 29er. You could never keep up with a rig on a 1FG.
that may be true in some cases but that mainly depends on the "engine" there my friend

·
Registered
430 Posts
PaddyH said:
had a 1FG w/discs and headshock it was 19lbs(not stock), sold the frame/fork and had buyers remorse ever since...

that may be true in some cases but that mainly depends on the "engine" there my friend
You are right. I was thinking all things being equal the rig is a faster bike. I bought my first cannondale in 93, and loved the 1fg until I rode a 29er. I do have a 26" Cannondale single speed, and it is around 19 or 20 lbs. But it is no where near the 29er's with the same engine. This pic was before I switched to an eno, but you get the idea.

·
boomer
888 Posts
I ride my SS with a guy that has a GF Rig in his quiver. It's his cheapest steed by far and he rides it 95% of the time. The few times I've ridden it I found it to roll and ride well.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
I raced my Rig all last year. Before it I had a C'dale M900 geared. I *really* love the Rig. I changed a lot of small things on it during the season but by and large it was fine off the showroom floor. 29ers rock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.