Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1166 Posts

·
two wheel whore
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see one for Gary Fishers, and the Specialized guys have a huge picture thread. So let's start one up! I'd like to hear your reviews on your own bike(s). What you like, what you don't. Comparos, etc.

'08 Big Sur. All stock but the horn and Shimano 520's.

I've got nothing to compare it to, since this is my first real mtn bike. But no problems so far, other than a broken chain link which I fixed on the trail, with some help from an experienced rider (learned something new that day - yay for Park Tools). I'd like to get something that I can ride during the week on the road/light trail, so I'm looking into that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
08 X-Caliber

Bought within the past week. I was looking for a new bike to upgrade from a Trek 3700 that had been served its purpose of fun and racing well. I test rode the cobia, paragon, and x-caliber. I also tried the specialized stump
jumper and the fisher pirahna. I just love the feel of the Cobia/X-caliber, and ended up going with the X-caliber.

·
Broken
417 Posts

·
my body breaks the falls
1,456 Posts
2007 Big Sur

This was my first project bike built from the frame up, so not quite what you'd get from the LBS:
Big Sur frame - Large
Crank, FD, RD, cassette - XT
Shifters - LX
Fork - RS Dart 3
Wheels/Hubs - Rolf Dolomite (super lite and beautiful)
Brakes/Levers - Avid Ti V brakes (sorta color matched to frame)
Bars/Stem - Titec Big Al/Hellbent
Seat/Post - WTB/Sette
Pedals - Shimano 535
Tires - Maxxis Ignitors

Weighs in at just under 25 pounds. Not bad considering most parts were leftovers :)

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sweet ride pigskin. What kind of tires are those? How do you like them on rocky, hard- packed trails as compared to the Bonty Jones tires? TB

·
two wheel whore
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice bikes, guys. twindaddy, I know you said you built your 07 Big Sur up...but how about the fork? Dart3's stock from last year's model?

·
my body breaks the falls
1,456 Posts
Shmoo said:
Dart3's stock from last year's model?
If I recall the Big Sur came stock with a Fox, but not sure which model. The Dart was just an e-bay special. My primary focus initially was keeping the build cost low (most parts where leftovers), but I see now that the Dart just won't cut it. Although a great price, it isn't at all what I need.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
My '06 Cake 2 DLX (heavily modified towards Clyde class trail bike)...very little remains stock.

The Hope brakes and custom wheels are the newest changes. Weight is sitting a little under 30lbs as shown.

Other changes: XT shifters and deraillerus, XTR cables, Thomson post, WTB saddle, Hope skewers, stem, spacers and seatpost clamp, EA70 hi-rise
bars, ODI Rogue grips, Purely custom stem and bar caps, brakes and wheels, eggbeater pedals, XT cassette, new chainring (middle), eNVy Ring
Thing plate.

New headset (I'm not fond of the stock semi-sealed job) coming soon....maybe FSA or King.

The Cakes make nice all-day trail bikes....heck, I did my first ever Century on it :)

1 - 20 of 1166 Posts