Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping around for forks my my '08 GF Mullet frame. I want a fork that would be good for single track, and light dirt jumping and light urban assault. The 2008 Mullet comes stock with a Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III. I am kind of interested in a Dirt Jumper II. What are your thoughts on this? Any other forks I should consider?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
DJ makes sense

Look at the Marzocchi DJ series or Manitou Gold Label forks which are Urban/DJ specific. There are also other options in the All Mountain and Freeride clasification that might be good options, too. Check with the DJ/Urban forum and see what the crowd in there might recommend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found '06 Marzocchi Z1 Drop-off 1 for $230 online. From the sounds of it this is a solid fork. Its a 130mm travel fork. The '07 and older GF mullet came stock with a 130mm fork but now they are coming stock with the 100mm DJ3. Still dont know what i should do yet?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Always go with a fork....

that will handle the most agressive riding that you will do. In your case the DJ is a good choice. It's not going to be the best for cross country, it'll feel stiff and not very compiant to small bumps. But it will handle dirt jump and urban with ease. The problem is your poroposed riding styles require different fork set ups. DJ and urban require forks that are very stiff structurally, stiffly sprung and with agessive damping curves to handle the landings whether they're prefect or slightly botched. A good XC fork usually uses a lower spring rate for a given rider weight and less agressive damper valving, so it's more active. The problem with using an XC or Trail type fork is you'll beat the snot out of it for urban and dj style riding, and durability will be an issue.

So your best bet is the Zocch DJ or similar fork. It won't be an ideal XC fork, far from it, but it will stand up to dj and urban with no problem. It's best to set the bike up for the worst that you're likely to dish out. Cross country trail riding is so far removed from urban and DJ that anything you put on it for a fork is going to be a compromise one way or the other. IMHO it's better to compromise on the side of durability and the more agressive riding styles.

Good Dirt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.