Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am relatively new to mountain biking but I have been riding moto cross for 15 years. I want to build a bike that will be good for riding to class every day and go out and hit the trails/stunts on the weekends. I just bought a GF Mullet frame off ebay for a 100 bucks and now I want to build it up. Can anyone give me some advice on what components to throw on it? I'm not looking to do huge drops or anything but I do want it to be sturdy and reliable. Is this even a good frame to start with? Thanks

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nice choice

That's a decent bike for urban assault and trail riding. The frame should be plenty beefy for that sort of usage. I'd scan through the Urban/DJ forum here on mtbr and check out how some of the riders have their bikes set up. Fisher puts a Marzocchi Dirt Jumper fork on their complete Mullet, but my guess is that you have better options out there. Maybe a set of Azonic Outlaws for the wheelset, Avid BB 7 discs are always a very good, reliable and inexpensive choice for disc brakes. I like SRAM shifters and derailleurs, so maybe X.7shifters and rear deraileur (or Shimano LX or XT if you'd rather go Shimano) . A set of XT cranks, Thomson seatpost and stem, and your choice on the handlebars.

hopefully this gives you some ideas to work from. Keep us up to speed on the build. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
hey right now im building a komodo frame which is a little beefier than the mullet but the same general idea, im putting a x.7 build on it but for you x.5s will work just as good its really about your price point im gonna put either a magura fork on it or a fox vanilla r those are both 130 and 140 i dunno if those are to big for a mullet frame you would have to check what travel is recomended for that frame too much and you can break the frame im gonna go with the 100mm that they stock it with so idsay rock shocks tora or revelation an argyle would also be a good choice. good luck and let me know how it turns out for hydralic brakes i would put juicy 5s on it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.