Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently in the market for a new mountain bike. Judging by what I like to ride, I have narrowed my choices down to a Gary Fisher Marlin or a Trek 4500. I mainly ride park trails with no big drops or anything. It will be taking some jarring from going over roots and that kind of thing. Sometimes I will be riding on pavement and sidewalks.

I want a bike that I can grow with, but I don't need to have best, most expensive bike out there. I can't quite make a definite decsion on which bike to get. I am aiming to spend between $300 and $500.

I liked the fork on the Marlin better the first time I rode it, but the disc-brake compatible hubs are a drawing point to the Trek. However, at this point I do not have a reason to need disc brakes, but it might be a possible future upgrade down the road.

I am leaning more toward the Gary Fisher because of its frame and better fork, but I still have the Trek in my mind. Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You may want to take a look at the Giant Iguana, similar price range, but you may get a bit more for components for your money with Giant. Also, the Specialized Rockhopper is a good bike worth a look in your price range.

I'm shopping in the same price range as you, and the Trek 4500 and Marlin are on my list as well.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i just got myself a Gary Fisher Marlin, but I got the DISC version (You have to change your location to outside of america to see the specs on it) But I was looking at the Trek 6500 and the Gary Fisher Tass before I decided on the Marlin.

I didn't like the Treks Geometry it just didn't fit me, and the trek seem to come with lower components, The Marlin Disc that I have is spec'd out similar to the Trek 6500.

The reason I dropped to the Marlin was so that I could afford a few upgrades, I put the firmer spring in the fork, and I switch the stock discs for Avid BB7's

I don't think you can really go wrong with either of those 2 bikes, I would say whatever you feel more comfortable on would be the best decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. A few weeks ago I decided on getting the Marlin. I felt I got a lot more for the money and it fit me well. I absolutely love the geometry of it...going up hills is much easier with more traction on the back tire. The fork is great too. I am happy with my decision. I would definately recommend this bike over the others I tried.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Although tmm786 has made his choice...

I'm down to simliar choices (Trek 4500, Fisher Marlin) with the addition of the Norco Storm. Its a bit more expensive, but has the complete Deore shifter system as well as disc brakes and an upgraded fork (over the 4500)

Any opinions on the Storm?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.