Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for a long time, but slowly breaking into some heavier off-road. Tried out these two bikes last night & having a hard time deciding. I'll ride both again tomorrow & hopefully decide. The plan for these is some beginner/intermediate off-roading, with some road riding thrown in. Looked at the GF Tassajara & the Specialized Rockhopper Disc, but I'll probably end up with the Marlin or plain RH and upgrade components after I decide what I need most.

Any suggestions/opinions?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought a Marlin...

to keep at my in-laws vacation house. It's 1,500 miles away so we typically fly there. I have really liked it. I have upgraded some of the components (Zoke MX Pro, XT ders. and cranks, new brakes) over time and now like it as much as my Big Sur. I've kept the alivio shifters (very dependable), wheelsets ( a little heavy but round), handlebars, etc. I think it's a good value bike that is worth the upgrades should you elect to make them.

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
I've got the Rockhopper

It has done okay for my first year of riding but the drivetrain is always having issues. It was fine for a beginner bike but now that I am getting more serious and had my first race I need something that handles better. I don't think you can go to disc breaks from the V's either on the Rockhopper. I don't know about the Gary Fisher.
The only problems I have had are some shifting issues but you can always upgrade the components

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.