Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. I came across this Gary fisher marlin mountain bike for 225 dollars. They said this has a new Jett suspension. There are some rust on some bolts and other components. Is it worth the price? Also, what would be the resale value for this if I sell this after a few years. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike was likely$400 or less new. Around 20 years old now. Drive train rebuild/replace(if needed) would be more than what the entire bike is worth. Very low end fork.

What you're of riding are you wanting to do?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I don't have a bike rn. I am just getting started on this. My budget is 250 dollars

·
All fat, all the time.
11,120 Posts
No worries, we all started riding/learning somewhere.

Are you wanting to ride dirt/trails? Paved paths or road? Gravel?

You might try making a post in your regional area here, there very well could be someone local that has something decent in the garage collecting dust.

Bike prices are high because of everything this past year, so you have to keep an eye out for unreasonably high prices.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
... They said this has a new Jett suspension...."
This should be a red flag. The last Jett fork was released in 2001. If they're willing to claim the fork is "new", no telling what else they might claim that is questionable. Granted, maybe the fork has been sitting on a shelf since 2001, but the Jett has an elastomer instead of a spring or air. So even if the fork is "new", I would be willing to be that elastomer is useless by now (they kinda sucked to begin with even when new).

I'm guessing that Marlin is maybe a 1999 model based on its graphics. Just a guess.

I think you can do better for $250.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The seller is obviously a bike flipper taking advantage of the shortage. The pedals are off an 80s road bike, the seat is from a Walmart bike, it's obviously been left out in the weather for many years. In perfect condition it'd be worth maybe $150 right now, but I'd recommend you pass on this particular backyard special.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.