Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I currently have Bontrager Jones XC's on my new bike...26inch x 2.2inch

How wide can I go? I know I can't go bigger than 26inch on the height, but what about the width.

I have been looking at some Kenda's and wanna know what is the fattest size I can get.

Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not all 2.2s are created equal.

It's hard to know really. Even if they both say 2.2, different manufacturers measure differently, so the widths won't be exactly the same.

This is a total guess, but I would say you couldn't go larger that 2.35. If there's a specific tire that you want to run, buy it from a good store with a good return policy, mount it and see what happens?

GL,
-don

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want the Kenda Nevagal or however it is spelled...but would like a wider tire...doesn't a wider tread mean better grip, better cornering?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes a larger tire could mean that but it would but it also means heavier and slower.

There are many people who run different sizes front and rear too. Give you a thinner tire for the back for speed and easier rolling and a wider up front for traction. But it really depends on what you ride in and what the normal conditions are.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I had a Special Edition Marlin (now the Piranah) when I got back into biking 18 mo ago. For the front, it depends on the fork... I can't remember exactly what is on the Marlin, but I think a 2.35 or 2.4 is the biggest that will fit on the front. On the rear, anything larger than a true 2.3 will be tough to keep from rubbing on the chainstays, based on my experience.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So maybe I could run a 2.1 in the rear and a 2.35 in the front? I might try that package out...

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Use Caution!!!...

Maximum recommended tire width for the Manitou Axel fork is 2.1 inches ACTAUL measurement! The 2.35 Nevagal is an ACTUAL 2.35 inch tire. the 2.1's are actually 2.1 inch. The key hear is not just how wide of a tire you can stuff in there, but clearances are involved as well. You need to maintain a minimum clearance of 5mm between the brake arch and the top of the tire. This ensures two things, 1st if the wheel should flex uder impact it the top of the tire will not make contact with the brake arch (even the stiffest wheels will flex some) and that under full compression the top of the tire will not make contact with the crown. Either one of these situation can be very dangerous, and detrimental to your health.

With that being said, most manufacturers do offer a bit of wiggle room in this area. Though they don't tell you about it. The idea is to keep you safe. Anyway, for most XC hardtails and the forks that come on them it's best to stay in the 2.1 to 2.2 range, sometimes as high as 2.3 depending on the tire manufacturer. As I said, with the Nevagals being a true 2.1" tire and high volume to boot it would be best to stick with that size. Remember, you still have to consider things like mud clearance and wheel flex as well. The 2.1 Nevy would be a good bet. You'd be pushing it with a 2.35 in the front, I'd be VERY leary of putting a 2.35 Nevy on the fornt of the Marlin with the stock fork.

Good Dirt

Good Dirt

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the helpful insight! I guess maybe I should go with the 2.1's front and rear then...I assume that the Kenda Nevagal will still be a nice step up for traction than the current Bontrager ACX's 2.2's that I have on it now...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be riding the trails (mainly single track) in and around the Atlanta area.

Blankets Creek has a lot of roots, sharp rocks, both loose and dry dirt...that is my best explanation...some Georgia red clay on occassions...

·
Registered
5 Posts
:thumbsup: I also have a marlin and I currently have the Bontrager XC 2.2, I saw a bike that had the Blue Groove up from and the Nevegal in the rear and they look the same size if not bigger, they are nice and fat, which would be nice for a hard tail. Apparently the blue groove / Nevegal is a popular set up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.