Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm looking to get back into mountain biking again after a long break! I've been shopping around a bit, trying to find something of value for a beginners bike. I've found some cheap ones, but I am somewhat experienced and would like something with better components. It seems that for the money I'm willing to spend, both the Jamis Durango 2 and the Gary Fisher Marlin Disk offer decent components compared to other bikes in their price range. Originally I was looking at a Specialized and the salesman pointed out the Jamis, saying it was a few dollars cheaper and had better components. After shopping around a bit, I found the Marlin Disk which seems to be pretty similar. Since I've been out of the loop for awhile, I was wondering if anyone had any input, good or bad obviously. The only main difference that I have found is, the Jamis comes with hydraulic brakes and the Gary Fisher with mechanical disk brakes. The Fisher brakes are Avids, which I've read in some posts are better then some lower end hydras. I also have one other option, that is to go with a slightly lesser bike, such as the Jamis Durango 1 for instance and upgrade the components as the ones on the bike break? Thanks for any opinions, they will be greatly appreciated. (sorry if anyone is reading this a second time, I posted in the beginners corner, but didnt' get any responses, will also post under jamis) thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lots of views but no opinions?

I'm new to this site and posted this in 3 different area and only 1 response. It seems a lot did view it though, so if anyone is interested, I went with the Durango 2. I like the look of the GF, but the only shop that carries them locally marked them up too much. They also only offer 1 year free for tune-ups. The shop where I bought the Durango 2 is closer ( I ride past it on my way to work) and they give you 3 free years of tune-ups. I did prefer the look of the GF over the Jamis, but the Jamis looked a bit more beefy, like it would take a beating better. Though I'm not expert, I do plan on riding it pretty hard. I haven't hit too many trails with it yet, so sorry for the short comparison here. Good luck.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
well sorry i didn't see it sooner...usually people are pretty good about responding though sometimes this type of question gets ignored. Anyways, I hope you went with the one that feels the best to you...Jamis makes good bikes from what I hear. A local shop owner near me really endorses them. Personally I have never ridden one other than a test ride. Good luck with the new ride and post up a pic in the Jamis forum i would like to check it out.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
drynne said:
I'm new to this site and posted this in 3 different area and only 1 response. It seems a lot did view it though, so if anyone is interested, I went with the Durango 2. I like the look of the GF, but the only shop that carries them locally marked them up too much. They also only offer 1 year free for tune-ups. The shop where I bought the Durango 2 is closer ( I ride past it on my way to work) and they give you 3 free years of tune-ups. I did prefer the look of the GF over the Jamis, but the Jamis looked a bit more beefy, like it would take a beating better. Though I'm not expert, I do plan on riding it pretty hard. I haven't hit too many trails with it yet, so sorry for the short comparison here. Good luck.
I have the Marlin and it's a great entry level bike. I don't know anything about the Durango, but Gary Fisher bikes have a lifetime warranty on the frame. Also, if you buy from a LBS you can ask what sort of warranty the parts have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.