Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so we got monkey love, but gee there must be a bazillion Gary Fisher out there. post up pics of yours here. they surely qualify as journeyman 29ers by definition too.

stock except for bars, stem, seatpost. upgraded the BB7 mechs for Avid Elixir 5s but have yet to try it out. found some matching sweet leather grips from portland design works https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/grips

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Not a lot of love for Fisher around here with all of the breakage issues. My XCal broke in the second year of ownership. The replacement Ferrous has been a good bike so far. I'm enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
My 4th

I started with a Montare rigid back in 94 that I was talked into and it was a bit large foe me.
Sold the montare and picked up a polished Mt Tam in 95; best fitting bike ever.
97 I found a Jashua X, total POS but it started me into the full sus thing.
A pic of my current Fisher, a Ferrous I found used for $400 and it's a very fun SS.
I know they weren't 9r's but only because they didn't make them in the 90s and I couldn't find a 29r Ferrouse.

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
Beaten up '07 Paragon

Definitely the most enjoyable bike I've built so far; predictably, this one's in a constant state of flux:
  • 07 Paragon frame (Size Large?)
  • Cane Creek S3 headset
  • Turdbuster LT seatpost
  • Rockshox Reba @100mm
  • Eggbeater Ti pedals
  • Truvativ Stylo 180mm cranks
  • SRAM 3x9 drivetrain
  • Halo Spin Doctor Pro hubs
  • Bonty Duster rims with TLR rimstrip
  • DT SuperComp spokes
  • Avid BB7s 185F/160R
  • Origin-8 Space Bar (flipped)
  • Azonic Shorty stem

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ianick said:
Not a lot of love for Fisher around here with all of the breakage issues.
i didn't believe the rumours of breakage until i sold a GF X-Caliber to a riding buddy. he took it on a trip to Moab, landed hard and cracked the seat tube just above the top tube gusset weld. but then again he's a big fella. GF replaced it on warranty with a 2010 n/c, so that was really good customer service IMO. hope this one holds out for him.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Love?

How about longer term relationship?:thumbsup: This is year 7 for the Sugar and it's still hanging right in there.

Back in 2004, after enjoying riding 2003 on a Karate Monkey, I purchased a 2004 Sugar 293 frame from ncj01 and built up a 4" travel XC bike for riding, training, racing.

I've been unable to break the frame to date with all the riding I do on it. I have worn a bit of the seatstay away on the non-drive side, but the Fisher rep who looked it over said it was still sturdy and if it ever does break - rear triangles are available. Frankly, with all of the posts and hub-bub about Fisher frames breaking, I really was expecting on getting only a season or two out of this frame. I figured it was my riding style or something that kept mine from breaking, but then I got a JET 9 and with the same riding style managed to break that frame in its first season of ownership.:D

I had the rear shock set to PUSH and customized for my size and riding.

With the frame being so light for my XL size (just a hair under 6 lbs.), it became my first attempt at a lightweight full suspension ride:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
jacques_anquetil said:
hey, EGF, nice! are those the stock stem and post?
what does your Paragon weigh?
Yep, stock seatpost and stem. The stock 19" Paragon weighs 26.55lbs without pedals so I guess it could be getting on for 28 with my heavy bars, grips and pedals on there. The XT cranks took off 100g and it doesn't ride anywhere near as heavy as it feels when I lift it up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
bag

Nice bike but what bag is that under your top tube?
ianick said:
Not a lot of love for Fisher around here with all of the breakage issues. My XCal broke in the second year of ownership. The replacement Ferrous has been a good bike so far. I'm enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
177 Posts
veloterra said:
2010 Superfly SS

First ride was last night.
Steve is this you? Really sweet bike. How much does it weigh? Are you going to let me take it out? If this is not you Steve, then never mind. But it is still a nice bike.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.