Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Gary Fisher Klunker (the 1996 "re-issue" model) that I love and adore. Way back when, whilst riding it harder than it probably should ridden, the headset nut stripped off and and whole headset came loose. After gingerly tightening it back down I nursed the bike home and replaced the nut as it was what seemed to have stripped - not the steerer tube. After years of having had the bike in storage I recently gave it some TLC and realised that the headset bearings are gone and need to be replaced.

Having said that the nut had stripped and not the steerer tube thread I have dome doubt as to weather the thread is actually damaged or not and was thinking about replacing it with a Chris King. On their page I discovered the GripNut headset and though it sounds like the perfect solution for my bike. The only thing is that the Klunker uses a headset mounted cable hanger.

Ok, my questions:

Does anyone have any experience with the GripNut and is it a good option for me given the extra security it gives on a possible slightly stripped steerer tube thread?

If the GripNut is a good headset to use, will simply changing the stem to one with an inbuilt hanger be a sound solution? Am I missing anything?

Thanks for any advise/help as always.

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
Some pictures would help here. If the threads on your fork steerer are damaged you might consider taking them to a bike store and getting them re cut with the proper tool, but in my experience it's usually the headset lock nut that strips, not the fork. The CK headset is certainly a good choice, and I personally prefer a stem mounted hanger, looks wise.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Thanks mechagouki.

Anyone have any idea if a 25.4mm stem clamp will clamp a 25mm without problems? I imagine so - 0.4 mm difference doesn't seem like too much...
I thought the same thing on a seat clamp. The seat clamp never worked right :( I wouldnt do it. Headset are worth a whole lot more, and your safety will be at stake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.