Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread for HiFi owners to talk about various topics...

First topic, shock settings...

Last night I set my front and rear shocks settings for it's first ride this weekend. I'm about 160 lbs and set the rear shock to around 80lbs and the front shock to around 75 lbs and set all the settings to the middle settings. Both of the settings were within the parameters suggested by Fox. I'll report more after the ride next week.

So what do you HiFi owner's have your shocks set too?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apex said:
80psi in the rear shock is LOW, I'm 150lbs and run 120psi to achieve 15% sag.
Does it matter if I set the sag in Non-ProPedal or ProPedal mode? I set it in the ProPedal mode. With 80psi I was around 20%. Then again I sat on bike, but didn't ride around a little bit. Also, what is your process for setting the sag?

·
Registered
191 Posts
200 pounds
145 in the rear (ProPedal set to 2)
80 in the front. I don't recall what I have set for rebound, but I think it's in the middle

·
Registered
234 Posts
Always set the sag in the open posistion, lever to the left, NO propedal. If you set it to 20% sag with the lever flipped to Propedal once you go to open you'll bottom the thing out just bouncing on it. Use the shock set up manual on the GF site as a guide. For you at 160 the psi in the shock should be about 120. For me at 150lbs I should be at 113psi, but I found that a little too soft. On the rebound I can't remember how many clicks.
http://fisherbikes.com/inc/pdf/Fisher_08_suspension_setup.pdf

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
GF70 said:
Thought I'd start a thread for HiFi owners to talk about various topics...

First topic, shock settings...

Last night I set my front and rear shocks settings for it's first ride this weekend. I'm about 160 lbs and set the rear shock to around 80lbs and the front shock to around 75 lbs and set all the settings to the middle settings. Both of the settings were within the parameters suggested by Fox. I'll report more after the ride next week.

So what do you HiFi owner's have your shocks set too?

waaaaay too low brother.... fork you should set to about 85 psi... and the rear try 125 psi... (you can check the rear by setting it up for 25% sag - since these have 2" rear shock stroke, that would be 0.5" of sag). In the front shoot for about 20mm (3/4") of sag. That's just a starting point - you should go from there and fine tune...

I'm about 190 - and I set my front to 92psi, and the rear to about 132psi... and tweaking the rebound adjusters to dial out the bobbing or kickback after hitting a bump...

i rode tonight and tweaked settings a bit... soaked up some nice technical sections with ease... eating up log piles and rock gardens with no troubles... really liking how my HiFi is performing...

plus you have the added benefit of adjusting your compression damping on the fork since you have the RLC... mine is the RL...

I rarely if ever use propedal - i find the HiFi to be a very efficient pedaler even when fully active, including for technical climbs (if there's any rocks or roots on your climbs, you want to keep that rear shock active). and only on the smoother climbs will I lock out the fork. I climb most often seated - so bobbing is rarely a problem even with the fork unlocked.

and yeah - do NOT use propedal when setting sag...

hope that helps...

cheers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had no idea there was a setup guide on the Fisher site. Thanks for the link and guidance!!​

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I took the HiFi Pro out for it's first maiden voyage today and all I can say is WOW!! I just left the rear shock open the whole time and left it in 2 position. I did try it in ProPedal mode, but it just felt better in the open position. I didn't notice any bob whatsoever when climbing when it was open. Also, I like the fact that the bottom bracket is high. Well, at least higher than the '00 Specialized FSR XC Pro that I used to have. I feel bad cause the Big Sur will probably be relegated to the casual rides with the wife on the local paved trails.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Sweet! I just rode 3 days in a row - last two rides were a bit muddy (luckily had swapped out the Jones for some Velociraptors (great mud and soft soil tires - tons of grip!). I find once you dial in the HiFi it's an amazing ride especially over the rough stuff which I like hitting.

thread needs a few pics.... ;)

cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dunno exactly

My fork is set at about 60 psi (I weigh around 120 lbs haha I am skinny) My rear shock is around 80 psi (I think) with about 25% sag. Is 25% too much???
Here is my bike btw...

I was having some issues with my rear derailleur. When I switch into gear 1 up front and 3 in back and the chain doesn't want to stay. It switches up and back and up and back.
Any reason why it does this? :confused:
Thanks,
Sole

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
trekboy79 said:
MI -- What kind of grips are those? TB
Lizard Skin Peaty lock-on grips (Steve Peat). They come in grey/red like I got, and also white (rubber)/red & blue (the lock-on clamps)... They are basically the ODI system with Lizard skin rubber. Comes as a kit. They are small dia which I like.

cheers

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I've been out a number of times to the same trail in different conditions. The stock tires on the Pro in wet/muddy conditions don't grip that great, but the last few rides the trail has been hard packed, dry and dusty and these tires were great. Only thing was that the front felt a little sketchy on the high speed turns, but some of that could be me trusting the bike in the turn or maybe I don't have the front shock set right. Anyhow, I'll probably wear out the stock tires before getting new ones. Coming off the trails I'm using about 3/4's of travel both front and rear, but then again I really haven't been bunny hopping or being really aggressive jumping obstacles. On a good note, fitness wise I have gotten to the point where my lungs give out before my legs!!

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
latest... upgraded the X7 shifters to X9, installed 11-34 SRAM 990 cassette (much better ratio spread for the trails I ride, plus the red anodized goes well with my black w/ red accent theme) ... oh and Kenda Nevegals DTC 2.35 front/2.1 rear... waaay better than the Jones XR's...

next upgrade will be a red Chris King headset - just need to install... [EDIT: installed!]

cheers

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
sweet looking HiFi RMB!! I like the blue! :thumbsup:

how do you like that WTB seat btw? Rocket V SLT is it?

tubeless working out well? i have yet to take the plunge...

cheers

1 - 20 of 209 Posts