Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
wrench
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to build this beauty yesterday and send it out to our man Nat Ross for the 24 hours of Payson this weekend. It is one of the new HiFi 29" Fisher frames due out in '08. Very light- built with pedals, 24.5 lbs. for a medium. The frame is all hydro formed aluminum. Nice shaping and all. Headset is a semi integrated Cane Creek- large headtube size- kinda like a 1.5" headtube. Rock Shox supplied the Genisis 2 fork as the bike uses a special offset fork for better handleling.
Not much to share- feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer.
Now, here are the pics! Oh and me riding some sweet trails in Santa Barbara.

Later-

Matto

Attachments

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Hey Matto,

Supercal replacement or addition to the line?

Love my SCal a lot now that I have put on a few miles!

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Ride

mattomoto said:
Got to build this beauty yesterday and send it out to our man Nat Ross for the 24 hours of Payson this weekend. It is one of the new HiFi 29" Fisher frames due out in '08. Very light- built with pedals, 24.5 lbs. for a medium. The frame is all hydro formed aluminum. Nice shaping and all. Headset is a semi integrated Cane Creek- large headtube size- kinda like a 1.5" headtube. Rock Shox supplied the Genisis 2 fork as the bike uses a special offset fork for better handleling.
Not much to share- feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer.
Now, here are the pics! Oh and me riding some sweet trails in Santa Barbara.

Later-

Matto
First impressions???

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Thanks for posting Matt! That looks really sleek, in a retro sort of way. Like I've seent he bike before. Then, all useful FS designs have been used up by now.

Where does the Reba get the extra offset from? Crown or lowers?
A general impression on G2 front ends would be great!

Perhaps for a seperate thread, what makes the 1.8 tires race tires? According to Schwalbe, narrower tires are slower over dry soil (and I believe them), and XR's are generally not condered really fast rollers. Are the 1.8" made differently, not just narrower? I'd really appreciate a seperate thread on that, but don't like paging you for it :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
That’s a great looking bike and if it handles as well as the 26" it will be a winner.

Nice burly downtube. However, the shock mount on the top tube looks like the original 292/293 layout that prompted a design update due to breakage/warranty claims. I'm sure the R&D guys will say it's sound, but call me a skeptic about the durability of that frame. déjà vu.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I like the looks of this - surprisingly so actually.

But how does it differ from the earlier versions of the Sugar 29ers etc?

Looks very similar still in my eyes.

What makes it special other than new hydroforming and the fork with the new offset (which sounds damned cool in and of itself).

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I don't have sound on my computer at work - but that first part of the G2 video is hilarious! I love when the TRex chomps up the Monkeys!

·
wrench
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry no ride impressions. I am actually riding a Paragon in that pic.
Nat rides a medium and I am an XL so would not work out very well. I also had to get in a box quick to ship to him in AZ for a 24 hour race.
The G2 fork has the rake built into the crown. Same lowers as the standard 29 fork.
I have another frame in paint right now (my size) so hopefully will have ride impressions soon.
Check www.fisherbikes.com for the G2 story.
Something interesting about the 29" and 26" HiFi's, same frame weight per size. Fisher says this is the first time they have been able to do this.
G- not a replacement to the SuperCal, just an addition as far as I have heard.
Phaedrus- I think this is the same mounting as the current Race Days which have had no problems. Special tube shaping has also increased rigidity over the old sugars.

Matto

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Are you aware of the "folding" problem with the XL HiFi 26ers? Since this is a medium, I assume this is not an issue with this particular bike. Have you heard anything about a fix for this issue being instituted in the XL 29" model?

If you don't know what I am talking about, take a peek in the Trek forum.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
More offset equals

Padre said:
does the different offset change the wheelbase at all?
More offset equals a longer wheelbase all things being equal. I believe greater fork offset, to reduce the amount of steering trail, is the gist of Fisher's "G2" 29er's. Should quicken the steering too [again, all things being equal].
Of course, you don't have to wait for next year's Reba, Manitou or Fox forks to get forks with greater offset - the latest WB's [QR version] have @ 6mm more steering offset than the current Reba's 38mm.

·
Dame veneno q kiero morir
2 Posts
Really good bike.

Paint the Reba in blue... the colour is indifferent for this bike, is a XC machine.

bye.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
rensho said:
Looks to be in the crown by those pics.
Good eye.
mattomoto said:
The G2 fork has the rake built into the crown. Same lowers as the standard 29 fork
I believe that G2 means the top tube is shorter by the amount the offset was increased. Same wheelbase, faster handling.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Good eye.

I believe that G2 means the top tube is shorter by the amount the offset was increased. Same wheelbase, faster handling.
I'm not convinced G2 is all that good. My Fisher 292 handles very well (very stable). Perhaps if I rode tight singletrack instead of fire roads most of the time, I would feel different. I would not want a shorter top tube either.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
MikeDee said:
I'm not convinced G2 is all that good. My Fisher 292 handles very well (very stable). Perhaps if I rode tight singletrack instead of fire roads most of the time, I would feel different. I would not want a shorter top tube either.
I am happy with the non-G2 handling of my Supercal as well even with the front fork at 100mm. Seemed to get through the tight stuff at Levis Trow last weekend just fine form me:thumbsup:

G

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
G-2 Experience here

I got a chance to ride the 26"er version of the Hi-Fi on the Tractor Trail and Braille Trail at Nisene Marks a couple weeks back and I thought the G-2 handling was noticeable in the slower speed techy spots I encountered. How it translates to a 29"er, I can't say for sure, but I'm thinking it'll be the cats meow. ;)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Mba

Guitar Ted said:
I got a chance to ride the 26"er version of the Hi-Fi on the Tractor Trail and Braille Trail at Nisene Marks a couple weeks back and I thought the G-2 handling was noticeable in the slower speed techy spots I encountered. How it translates to a 29"er, I can't say for sure, but I'm thinking it'll be the cats meow. ;)
Read the review in MBA and they seemed to also like it:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.