Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thinking about picking up a GF Fat Possum and was trying to find any info on it in regards to the geometry or at least the rear travel amount. Does anybody happen to have any idea? Any opinions on the bike at all? I see that it comes with a 150mm fork, was thinking a 160mm would be fun for some light DH tracks around Big Bear. Also lastly I was trying to find a link to the Fox Shox excel spreadsheet that lists all f/s bike replacement rear shock info, anybody have it? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Google it. Quick and easy. Unless you're getting it for like $200-300, I'd pass. I remember those from a long time ago.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Google it. Quick and easy. Unless you're getting it for like $200-300, I'd pass. I remember those from a long time ago.
I blew up Google trying to find it to no avail. MTBR is my last resort. and I'm picking it up for $240. I figured with a few upgrades it should be a fun trail worthy bike with some decent travel. Plus the frame can stuff some pretty thick meat from what I've read. I really just was curious what the HA/STA and rear travel amount is.
But out of curiosity, what would make you pass on it other than its an older bike? I definitely don't need the newest and greatest thing, certainly don't have the money to blow on a 1k+ second bike, I guess that's my reasoning and interest in it. I also hear the pivot design is great for reducing pedal bob but I could be wrong obviously.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
There are so many different takes on the 150mm (6in) travel mountain bike, it's hard to know what to expect. According to Gary Fisher, "the Fat Possum is the all-day adventure bike you've been waiting for".

Not a Light DH bike. Just a trail bike by today's standards.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heck man, my first Google result tells me the rear travel is 150mm. My Google is smarter than yours, hehehe.
Wow. I feel so stupid. I think my query was too specific with "2006 Gary Fisher Fat Possum LX". I appreciate it Chelboed, still on the hunt for the Geo if anybody happens to know.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
That's going to be tricky, but that Bike Radar review should give you an idea of how it will ride. It's going to Stink-Bug on you... It's a primeval damper with a single pivot.

If it's got a lot of life left in it, ride the heck out of it. If the rear shock needs replaced, it's going to cost more than the bike. A fork rebuild will be in your budget at some point too.

Things to think about. This is why old hardtails will live on when old suspension bikes are dead and buried.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep it alive

So I know this thread is pretty old but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents about the Fat Possum. I have an XO frame with the original Manitou Split rear shock. I have rebuilt the shock and even added a schrader valve to the SPV chamber. The frame had some real weaknesses in torsion. So if you really cranked on the bars and pedals it flexed a lot and mine eventually separated the seat tube from the bottom bracket and there were cracks in the swing arm connection left to right. I did a carbon fiber repair of the seat tube which really stiffened it up but left no room for a front derailleur anymore. Went to a 1x11 and that worked great. I also filled the small volume in the rear swingarm where the cracks were with epoxy and now this frame is very stiff in torsion. I am running 27.5 wheels with a Rock Shox Psylo Race front fork. It is older than the frame but very light and has 125mm travel maximum with all spacers removed. It looks like the rear of the Fat Possum can handle a 29" wheel? Will try that this year.

IMAG0075.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE:

After a few years the downtube broke just below the pivot. Full break! More Carbon fiber repair and it is back on the trail again as stiff as it can get. Much stronger and stiffer than original frame. So now the bottom bracket is completely connected to the frame by carbon fiber repair! I weight 235 lbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts