Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife sent her nearly new Cake frame for a crash replacement @ $299 thinkin' SWEET!

We recieved it back and they didn't even attempt to match the paint of the original frame and added a couple butt ugly decals, that look clear coated over.

We're pretty frustrated. Yeah $300 is a good deal for a front triangle, yet is seems with a company with the resources that Gary Fisher/Trek has, they'd be willing and able to replace the frame with what you bought in the first place.

I'm not sure how to go about voicing my concerns with GF or if we're unrealistic in our expectations. They should have at least let us know beforehand that they'd be doing what they did instead of the little surprise we received.

I did post this in the GF forum. Just doing double duty to reach more eyes and brains.

Any advice would be welcome and helpful. Thanks.

Jared

·
Registered
270 Posts
I haven't read their replacement policy, but off the top of my head I would expect my replacement frame to be at least as good as the original frame was before the crash, and to look good too! That might not be a whole lot of money for a frame or repair, but GF/Trek are still making money on that deal and certainly won't go bankrupt sending back decent replacements! Send them an email, or call, just plain telling them you are not satisfied and feel they are somewhat dishonest in their dealings with you. It may not help, but can't hurt. In fact, for what it costs them to build or import a NEW frame, they still make money on the deal!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've noticed at my LBS when they get crash replacement frames, the frame will be the current year model even if the damaged frame is a couple of years old. May just be a new paint design for the next year model...

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
I've noticed GF changes their paint colors with every model year, pretty much on every single bike. As long as you got the same front triangle, even if the paint scheme is different, then you didn't get taken.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I think if she'sbothered too much, we'll pony up to have it painted.

thanks again,

Jared

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
paint will void the warranty.

Just so that you know, if you paint that frame, it negates the warrnty if you have any issues later on with that frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts