Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is a cross post of sorts. I posted a thread on the general bike forum. I am looking to buy a new XC bike. Originally I wanted a HT and loved the Tassajara, but then I started to test a few FS and saw some good deals.

I just test rode a Gary Fisher Caliber 2007 that is one sale for $1150 (MSRP $1870 I think). I like the way it rode and the frame fit me well, like the Tassajara. The components are pretty low/mid-level, but I figure I can upgrade those as finances allow.

Any suggestions? The sale ends on 12/24 on I have to make up my mind pretty soon. The other bikes I have tested in the last month are some other GFs, Kona, Giant, Cannondale, and one Specialized I was considering (FSR XC, with some upgraded components). I like the fit of the GFs the best.

Thanks,
Robin

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
If the Fishers fit the best, then that is probably what you should go with. The most important thing when buying a bike is the fit, the other factors should come later.

Is the 07 Caliber a new bike that has just been sitting for awhile? You should definitely try to get something new when it comes to picking up a Fisher or any of the other companies that offer lifetime warranties on their frames, for the original owner.

Here are some reviews of the bike, on this site: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-suspensio/gary-fisher/caliber/PRD_416214_1526crx.aspx

I think it would certainly be something worth upgrading as parts start to break on it.

And here is the bikepedia link to it: http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2007&Brand=Gary+Fisher&Model=Caliber&Type=bike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I really like the fit of the Tassajara and the Caliber - best of all the bikes I tried.

It is a new 2007 that has been sitting around in the store. My goal is to get a bike that fits well and I can upgrade as stuff breaks down (or I get an itch for improvements) but I will still be happy with in 2-5 years. That is why I am leaning toward the full-suspension. I am afraid I will tire of the hard tail in a few years.

The 2009 Tassajara hard tail I like is $979 (with super crappy forks - the Tora) and the 2007 Caliber is $1150 with okay components. So is $150 worth it for the full-suspension?

Thanks!

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I would say it is definitely worth the extra $150, if you want full suspension. You are always going to be better off money/component wise if you find a holdover like that. Also, the components are going to be pretty comparable to what you will get with the Tass. Only thing I don't really like on it is the manitou suspension. A friend of mine has the R7 and I prefer my tora over that one.

On the Tass though, that actually is a quality fork. I have an 08 Tora 302 soloair on my 08 tass and it has not held me back at all. It's about the best budget fork out there.

Basically, great bike for the money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.