Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I recently returned from a trip to China where I attended a great MTB race in Mongolia. I thought I'd share my experience bringing my bike for free, as many on this site have done. All it takes is a little know-how and some elbow grease.

The frame is a Large (19")

This setup survived a total of 12 plane rides (with transfers) and 2 complete assemblies (and 3 disassemblies, I am too lazy to put it back together right now).

Supplies:
-tools for assembly/disassembly
-28" x 23" x 9" hard-sided Samsonite suitcase ($20 off craigslist!!)
-Wheel box
-LOTS of zip ties

I got the assembly/disassembly down to an art. 40 minutes for full assembly, 30 minutes to disassemble and pack. The bike in the case came in at just over 50lbs (with lots of clothes, crap stuffed in), but they (United) didn't charge me.

I placed both wheels together in a single wheel box by taking off the cassette and putting the freewheel within the spokes of the front wheel. Then, I zip-tied the wheels snugly together. To protect the rotors and the box (I didn't take the disc rotors off) I cut two ~6" square pieces of 1/4" plywood and drilled four holes in the corners. I centered the plywood over the exposed hubs (rotor side out on both wheels), then used the holes to zip tie the plywood securely to the spokes over the rotors. Not a single problem from this setup!

Tada!

·
Fisher Fan
112 Posts
I've no idea why nobody commented on this but that is cool as hell. Looking forward to my southeast asia bike trip in perhaps 16months from now!

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
Very cool post, but I agree that pics from the actual race are sorely missed here.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm really impressed with your packing ingenuity. You really thought it through and it paid off. I've used a bike bag, which makes for fast packing and unpacking, but I've had bent rotors, and airline charges for a bike have become heinous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts