Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any GF riders have any positive or negative comments regarding the Big Sweep handlebars ?

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
So far all of the bikes we have sold with them, 17 degree sweep, the customers have swapped them to some thing more subtle.
17 degrees all but removes stem length and makes the cockpit much shorter, maybe with a much longer stem it would work but not sure the need. Up to 12 seems OK, past that I think it messes with position on a stock bike to much.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My 2011 Superfly 100 came with the big sweep bars and I liked them alot. I ended up swapping it out for a carbon riser because I prefer carbon bars and wanted to shave some weight. If Bontrager ever made a carbon version, I would buy one for sure.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big Sweep

sbc1cog said:
So far all of the bikes we have sold with them, 17 degree sweep, the customers have swapped them to some thing more subtle.
17 degrees all but removes stem length and makes the cockpit much shorter, maybe with a much longer stem it would work but not sure the need. Up to 12 seems OK, past that I think it messes with position on a stock bike to much.
Relatively new to biking so just trying to understand. The sweep bars shorten up the cockpit length as opposed to have a straight bar which would increase the cockpit length an I guess the bar rise would just set the rider position a little high or more upright ?

If this is correct then the handlebar configuration will change the riders position ?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Thanks - Rich

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have them on my X-Cal. My only problem is keeping my computer mount tight with the taper of the bars. I need to move the computer over to the stem.

But aren't bars more about personal fit? I like the way mine fit me, I'm 6'2" and riding the 21" frame, which, for me, is maybe a bit too long. The bars bring things back together for me.

Mine look cool and aren't too terribly heavy.

Crud

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have them on my x-cal and like the more upright riding position. If you don't like a short or upright position, you probably won't like them too much.

Glenn

·
Full fledged member
74 Posts
I had a Bontrager big sweep on my Cobia and it hurt my hands and wrists. I put on a 70mm stem and an Easton Monkey Lite XC and it is great now. I would not go back to the big sweep. Just my 2 sheckels.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I didn't particularity care for the ones that came on my '10 Rig.

I rode them for awhile until I was able to find the right wide bar that I wanted.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Crudcake said:
I like the way mine fit me, I'm 6'2" and riding the 21" frame, which, for me, is maybe a bit too long.
I should mention this is likely the reason why I wasn't fond of them.

I'm roughly the same height and went with a 19" frame, so the sweep made things a bit too small.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
based on my experience with a Salsa 17deg bar, the angle up or down of the bar makes a big difference in fit and feel. This isn't as noticeable on low-sweep bars, but is significant with the 17deg sweep. Bars angled down so they point at the back hub was very comfy but was a little awkward when standing.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Sweep

Crudcake said:
I have them on my X-Cal. My only problem is keeping my computer mount tight with the taper of the bars. I need to move the computer over to the stem.

But aren't bars more about personal fit? I like the way mine fit me, I'm 6'2" and riding the 21" frame, which, for me, is maybe a bit too long. The bars bring things back together for me.

Mine look cool and aren't too terribly heavy.

Very ironic Mr Crudcake, I am 6'2" and have ordered a 21" frame as well! That frame size feels the best to me especially since I am 60 years old and not really doing any crazy stunts or jumping.

I guess it is all about how the bike feels, how it fits when you are riding. I guess you need to pay specific attention to all of the details and sensations when you are riding in order to tweak the components to get the perfect fit!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big sweep

tbear1 said:
I have them on my x-cal and like the more upright riding position. If you don't like a short or upright position, you probably won't like them too much.

Glenn
So they are narrow and angled up ? I do like a wide grip since I have a large frame

·
Registered
42 Posts
rconceptsinc said:
My 2011 Superfly 100 came with the big sweep bars and I liked them alot. I ended up swapping it out for a carbon riser because I prefer carbon bars and wanted to shave some weight. If Bontrager ever made a carbon version, I would buy one for sure.[/QUO

Bontrager do a 12deg version !

http://bontrager.com/model/04047

But not available in the uk grrrr :madman:

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
I love the sweep, since it puts your wrists in a much more natural position -- a bit like a riser bar, which is the whole idea of big sweep bars. I think Salsa might have been the first kid on the block with this idea.

But, I dislike that it reduces the cockpit length, especially on a race bike. So I pulled mine off the slightly short Superfly 100 and put them on my Sultan. Perfect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
rickcin said:
So they are narrow and angled up ? I do like a wide grip since I have a large frame
No, they are swept back more than up. It gives my shoulders, elbows and wrists a more natural position when riding. They don't feel narrow. I think mine are ~610 or 640mm.

Glenn

·
Registered
20 Posts
i had the bontager big sweep on my gray fisher hifi 2010, i change for a bontrager carbone with less back sweep and it's totally awesome

i hated the backsweep on the origibal bar

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joe

The bikes look great and thanks for the photos!

I am still waiting for my Cobia and guess I was suspicious of the big sweep bars because I they are so different looking but I need to ride them for a while before deciding what to do.

The ride should dictate and I am ver anxious to receive to get the bike since I have been waiting for some time and the estimated date is for the third week of October!

Thanks again - Rich

·
Registered
652 Posts
which degree?

guys, are we talking a 12 or 15 or 17 degree here? Which one feels better? I seem to read the 12d is better to more people........
My wrists ache a lot when riding too, so I'm considering the 12d for my ride. Don't want to get a 17d and then have to get a longer stem.
Or?
Thanks
Sbob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts