Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all Mt. Bikers .. I have a GF 2009 Advanced and recently purchase Hydraulics Elixirs 1 and notice that I have to removed the complete Shimano Brake and Shifters.
(pain in the ass!!!) SO I decide that since I need new shifters am going to convert bike to a 1 x 10
Found SRAM 10 Speed Cassette and started to look for SRAM Crank Set, but now I come to realize that them bottom bracket is also a pain. I read a thread here on how the individual fixed his but I am curious to know if any one else had problems?

Thanks
Victor

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
i'm not sure i understand what you're asking. the bottom bracket is a pain? if you have a 3 speed crankset, i would start by removing the large and small ring, front derailleur, and install a chain guide. somewhat simple with the right tools. do you know what type of bottom bracket you have? threaded or press fit? do you know what brand? maype post some pictures

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the original that came when the bike was manufacture, no specs on the TREK site or this site where I found all the specs: 2009 Gary Fisher Advance - BikePedia

As for removing the rings like you mentioned, that does not work well because these rings were not manufacture for this concept.. I have friends who did the same and the chain pops of constantly, for that reason I am buying the proper ring to make it a 1 x 10 but in order to get the crank set I was hoping for the bottom bracket to be something simple and notice that others had problems cause of the size of the original crank set. Thanks Victor

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Yeah. I think you're over analyzing this a bit. Either remove the unnecessary components and run a chain guide, or remove the unnecessary components and replace the middle ring with a narrow-wide or wolf tooth.

I ran my old hardtail as a single speed with just removing the extra rings and shifter / Derraileur and running an mrp clamp on chain guide, for a long time without any incident.

Posted via mobile

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think what he's saying is the crank is cheap enough that the rings are riveted, ie not replaceable. The SRAM crank he's looking at is unlikely square taper BB compatible, while almost assuredly that's what he has now. Like a lot of these kind of upgrades, you end up doing a LOT more than originally planned for compatibility issues (like the integrated shifter/brake lever that precipitated this when he just wanted new brakes)

OP, I don't have a solution for you other than to consider how much $ you want to put in this bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Johnny you hit the nail on the head... Cheap crankset by Suntour. So I had to replace everything new Raceface Crankset, BB SRAM, 9 speed SRAM cassette and new chain. And yes spent more than I wanted too. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yeah, I'd love to see pix. That's orange right? I have an (much older) orange Advance that see mostly path/commuting duty but hits the dirt occasionaly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The before picture! I am in Florida and ride 2-3 times at either Alafia State Park or Balm-Boyette Preserve which has very and I mean very good mountain trails. And I know no mountains in Fl. But theses were phosate mines back in the day that were converted to some bad ass trails from little technical to super technical.

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
Nice. I'm pretty sure what you have is a 2006 Advance, as it looks just like mine before I replaced a few parts (fork, bars, crank, etc.)

Advance (1024x768).jpg

It's been a great bike and been all over the west with me.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure if 2006 or 09 we google this bike and found all the info even with talking to TREK and other bike stores. But it's been pretty good to me so far and now getting ready for the upgrades.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From a 3x8 to a 1x9
New: BB, Raceface Crank, SRAM 9 speed cassette and chain.
SRAM X7 Rear Derailleur, Revolutuion Rims, Bontrager 2.1 tires
Avid Discs and Elixir 1 hydraulic brakes.
Future upgrade: front shock, seat & seat post
And most important the rider... Tehehehehe! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK!!! here is the Bike with it's upgrade and rode for the first time on the trails yesterday and was amazed of the Lightness and the Speed I was going. The upgrade was worth it, still need some minor like new handlebar, seat and seat post... can't wait....
View attachment 882871
View attachment 882872

1 - 18 of 18 Posts