Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
been checking out some of the 29ers out there and I really like the Gary Fisher models.

I'm 5'8 and typically ride a medium, but the 17.5 29er feels a little long for me.

I was wondering if anyone's ridden the 15.5 inch model; my local shops don't stock them.

here's a little background.
our riding style is mostly XC, with some small jumps and a few mild obstacles here and there. nothing too crazy, but occasionally some small jumps, rolls or drops. I think I'm learning that you're not really supposed to be doing anything too heavy on 29ers, but I'm still thinking I want something I can throw around a little bit.

tell me if I'm looking at this all wrong; I'm open to 29er education.

one of the things I think feels long about the 17.5 is that I typically sit back over the cranks, but I'm wondering if maybe with the 29ers you're supposed to ride inside the wheel base and not really quite so far back.

anyway, so two questions here:
1. anyone around 5'8 had a chance to ride the 15.5 & 17.5 29er for comparison
2. riding posture/expectations/intended use on the Gary Fisher 29er

·
One Colorful Rider
1,204 Posts
I'm 5'6" and ride a 15.5 2004 Supercaliper Hardtail

I've Tried G2 in 17.5 but Definatly to big For Me

The size your are I think a 17.5 would be better you might find the 15.5 a little to short.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm 5'9" and just went through the exact same dilema. I came from a 17.5" HKEK, which fit me perfectly, but when I test rode a 17.5" Paragon it was way too long.

I also test rode a 15.5" Paragon, which fit me quite a lot better. My Paragon came with a 75mm stem, which is typical for G2 bikes to come with a shorter stem. It's part of the geometry, but I've switched out to a 90mm FSA OS-99 that has a 6 degree angle instead of the 7 degree (i think) that the Race X Lite that came on the bike had.

With the stem flipped upside down I get the more aggressive riding position that I like, but without being way stretched out as I was on the 17.5" bike.

Sounds like you're gonna like a 15.5" frame!

·
Registered
292 Posts
i run a shop. let me tell you, i was in the same boat. i am 5' 7" and was going to get a 15.5 superfly and i am glad i didn't tried a 15.5 that i had on the floor and was way too short even with a 100mm stem. go with the 17.5 you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great responses guys, thanks very much.

Inno -- that's exactly what I was wondering about.
my style isn't straight up XC, so I don't care too much about an aggressive XC posture.
I would imagine I can adjust that a bit with the stem if I want to stretch out a little.

Ratty -- thanks as well for your input. this is exactly what I'm worried about.

I'm gonna see if I can get my local shop to order in a 15.5 29er of some sort for me to check out. I'll report back with my impressions when I buy. looking into buying some property right now, so it might be a while before I can buy my next big boy toy.

all comments, suggestions, and advice welcome.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm 5'8" as well and I went with a 17.5" Cobia. I'm still dialing in the cockpit length, it felt a tad long as you said. I picked up a Kalloy 2" riser downhill bar ($30 ebay) and it gives me a more upright comfortable position. I would like to try out a few stems and see what feels best. I would ride both and see what you feel most comfortable with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
5'8" and use the 17.5" M. I ride a Ferrous and it fits me perfect, but the Ferrous is raceday geometry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got a 09 HiFi Pro 29er in the 17" (Medium) size. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. If I did it again I would buy the small frame. I didn't have the ability to ride the different sizes before buying and made my best guess, all the time hating to buy anything "small."

I've since dropped the seat, and the bars to compensate, but that top tube gets really close to the boys when I hop off in mid-climb to bail on a steep section of trail or a nasty spot where my feet need to touch the ground. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts