Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I own a 293 and like the bike very much, it has a plush ride that you'll never get with a hardtail. However , I am 6'5" 195 and have cracked 2 frames at the shock mount in 2 years without abusing the bike. This problem may have been corrected with the new frames, I got my latest warranty replacement 2 months ago.

The bike is no longer in production so I would talk to the bike shop about how many replacement frames Fisher-Trek has left and what their replacement policy will be because chances are you will break the frame. If you're talking about a used bike, forget it, warranty applies only to original owner. The stock wheel set is not very strong, you would probably want a replacement.So, if you are willing to inspect your bike frequently, get a stronger wheel set, have a good bike shop for warranty issues, and the price is right go for it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Almost 300 lbs? I would stick to hardtails. If you must get all the squish, you may want to "fork" out the big bucks for a Ventana El Capitan.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Quasi said:
Almost 300 lbs? I would stick to hardtails. If you must get all the squish, you may want to "fork" out the big bucks for a Ventana El Capitan.
Yes, and I would go with overbuilt wheels too, like tandem wheels.

If this is a used bike, don't get the 293 because you will not have a warranty and they have been known to crack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I want to thank all of you for your replies. The bike I am looking at is used and online and after hearing about the frame issues I think that I will steer away from the full suspension. I definitely don't have big bucks but I do have a wife that doesn't understand why I need another bike. I think that it's come down to ask forgiveness rather than permission. Wonder how much the lawyer is going to be! Any thoughts about the Kona Hoss? Thanks again

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
organek said:
Hey, I want to thank all of you for your replies. The bike I am looking at is used and online and after hearing about the frame issues I think that I will steer away from the full suspension. I definitely don't have big bucks but I do have a wife that doesn't understand why I need another bike. I think that it's come down to ask forgiveness rather than permission. Wonder how much the lawyer is going to be! Any thoughts about the Kona Hoss? Thanks again
I charge $200 an hour. What state are you in? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.