Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any advantage to the Garmin pre-loaded TOPO MicroSD Data Cards vs. using the US TOPO CD to move map data onto your GPS? The pre-loaded MicroSD cards are $86 retail for only one US region and the entire US TOPO cd is $116 retail.

Is it simply convenience? Is there any difference in the maps themselves for a given area in the US?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have the Topo CDs and have them loaded on a microSD card in my 60csx. I don't have any of the pre-loaded cards, but I did read the doc and as far as I could tell...it's just a convenience for people that want to use the GPS without dealing with a computer.

IMO, there are some major drawback for folks who do use a computer with the GPS. It says in the doc that you have to be careful not to erase the card. If you do, they basically say its tough luck and they won't help you get the data back. It also appears that mapsource can’t read the data off the pre-loaded cards, so you can’t use the maps on your PC. I also load sections of the topo maps along with other maps onto a single large card. You can't do this if you buy the pre-loaded cards since a map set is in a single file on the card and the GPS will only use one mapset.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.