Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok question for owners
How good is the (X)05 series for training. I was wanting something that can record a 20 km ride and then replay it back as a virtual training sequence.
So you record a track and can then return to the same track for training.

What I DONT want is say average speed below or above. Any unit can do this but that is pretty dull for training up and down hills.

I want DO want to see is something like in the Olympics where a red bar/dot is put on a map ahead of you or behind and you can tell you are ahead/behind. This should a time + 5 or - 10 sec for example. The trainer needs to takes into consideration the previous loop you did and relative speed for a given location and time from start.

Any ideas if this works in this way??

I did try to get something from the manual but did not see this....but lots of people are buying them. Perhaps then not for this reason.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
You ride to make track, choose one of your training routes, and then save that track into the Garmin Training Center. Now upload that track back into the unit as a "course". In the Garmin unit, make sure that "Virtual Partner" is turned on. Then go ride that route again, using the "follow course" feature. You will be riding against your last ride (keep updating it as you improve).

Here is a more detailed description.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Its pretty good.

and basically does exactly what you are looking for. However the process of creating a course, exporting, importing, and repeating is a little les then user friendly. Its kind of a mute point because there are not other units that I am aware of that allow that kind of real time comparision.

The biggest problems that I have when I do the virtual race is that my unit will read that I am off course and pause the timer. Uusally it only stays paused a few seconds and then says I have found the course, but I am moving forward while its paused causing me to finish in a faster then actual time.

The other thing I wish was different is that it would give a time ahead, instead of a distance. The distance ahead grows when the current me is on the downhill, and the previous me is still climbing, as my current speed is much higher at this time then it was when I was on the climb. However this reverses when I start the next climb and previous me starts to catch-up becuase he is desending. So you never get a clear picture for exactly how far ahead/behind you are. If the unit would just give a time ahead or behind this would be eliminated. 12 seconds ahead is 12 seconds ahead regardless of my current speed.
So thats why I say its pretty good, but not perfect. I hope that future versions smoothout the upload/download process.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys...that was what I was curious about. I think I agree with you that time difference is much better than distance. I was thinking about a elevation plot with a moving marker on it for training like image below but I suppose there would not be the resolution for a few seconds

One wonders about scope in future firmware improvements. I think I will buy one though. In the future a mp3 player via a bluetooth headphone would peeerfect.:D

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Much easier way

slocaus said:
You ride to make track, choose one of your training routes, and then save that track into the Garmin Training Center. Now upload that track back into the unit as a "course". In the Garmin unit, make sure that "Virtual Partner" is turned on. Then go ride that route again, using the "follow course" feature. You will be riding against your last ride (keep updating it as you improve)...
Easier way, see p. 29 of the 705 manual.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Wherewolf said:
Easier way, see p. 29 of the 705 manual.
Much easier! :thumbsup:

I usually download tracks to my programs after every ride and then delete them from my 305. I had Sunday's early ride still in it, and it works. I'll remember that when I ride a route that I plan to save as a course, Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.