Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a Garmin 705 and a Garmin eTrex Vista HCX and one thing that frustrates me is viewing tracks/maps that contain multiple intersecting loops. When planning a ride I use Topofusion which has an option to display directional arrows on a track.

If Garmin would offer a track shape with built-in arrows or even chevrons it would make navigating so much easier. Am I missing something? Does something like this exist?

·
since 4/10/2009
31,930 Posts
If you switch the GPS to the compass screen, it will show you the direction you're supposed to be going relative to the direction you're ACTUALLY going. This feature will vary in performance depending on whether you have a model with an electronic compass (and whether you've calibrated it recently) with a calibrated electronic compass model performing best. A model without the electronic compass will only give you such direction when you're moving (once you stop, any assistance goes out the window). And an uncalibrated electronic compass model could be WAY off. Thankfully, calibrating the compass is easy. Tell the GPS you want to calibrate it (the option will be buried in some menus, probably in the compass screen and/or under the settings), and the GPS will ask you to rotate it. Voila and you're done.

No, you won't get exactly what you're asking for with a visual reference on the map itself, but this is what Garmin offers to accomplish the same basic idea.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts