Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first apologies if this is an obvious question--the one time I need to search for something on this board, the search doesn't seem to want to work on this computer. Anyways, I was wondering if you could shed some light on tracks created by a Garmin 60Csx... I hiked Old Rag earlier today, and I downloaded the track I created and saved onto this computer with the Mapsource software--however, the map was created with 500 'points', which to be completely honest, doesn't really show all the detail that I would have liked to see (for example, it showed a section of switchbacks as two lines). Is there a way to increase the number of points? Or am I missing something else, I would just like to see more detail as to my route.

I've pressed the button for Save Track directly to card (I think I read about that somewhere on this board) and I have it mapping at the fastest interval... is there any other tricks?

Ohk, cool, and thanks for helping me out on this, or at least, thanks for helping me putting off reading in depth the manual for this contraption...

·
Registered
752 Posts
It sounds like you "saved" the track on the GPS. Saved tracks are compressed to a maximum of 500 points because they're saved in the limited space in the GPS's internal memory. You lose a lot of detail. I never use the save track feature on the GPS. If you leave the track in the active track log, it can have as many as 10,000 points. If you have a GPS with a transflash card you can also log the track to the memory card and create tracks bigger than 10,000 points. When you download the track buffer to mapsource, it'll be called "ACTIVE LOG" or "ACTIVE LOG nnn" if there's more than one track. You can rename it to whatever you want on the PC, just keep in mind that anything that doesn't start with "ACTIVE LOG" is assumed to be a saved track when you upload it back to the GPS. It'll be truncated to 500 points.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, sweet... yea, I had been saving the tracks to the GPS -- thanks for taking the time to explain all of that, I now know what exactly to do (and not to do...)!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I never understood why (many) Garmin units do this. Compressing to 500 points is one thing (fairly reasonable), stripping all timing info is another. It's just a few bytes per trackpoint they save and at the same time these units (Vista, 60CS) have a heapload of memory to store the map data.
Whenever I see Garmin people on booths etc I complain about this but not to much avail it seems...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
On my Legend Cx I have the choice of saving my tracks to the data card. Can you save more points this way or just more tracks?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I tried this today with my 60CSx. The first two rides i took it on i turned it on at te start of the track, rode the track, then saved the track at the end. When i uploaded the trails they only had 500 points.

Today i just turned it on at the start and then turned it off at the end. When i plugged the GPS into the computer i had 827 points instead of 500.

Is that what you guys mean by not saving tracks?

·
GPS_dr
122 Posts
Processing the tracks for display takes computaional resources.
Reducing the # of points processed helps keep screen updates faster with a low-power processor.
Lowrance uses dual processors, to help speed display updates, with a noticeable corresponding reduction in battery life. Lowrance doesn't discriminate between "Active Log" & other tracks regarding # of points (10K total).
Garmin color allow 20 @ 500, 1 @ 10K.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.