Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a rumor that Garmin is developing a mountain pedal with integrated power meters. This would be a game changer for those of us not wanting to buy a separate power meter for every bike.

Does anyone know more details of this rumor? Is it true? Any proposed release dates or prices?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I have no specific knowledge of this, but comments on the possibility of mtb pedal PMs talk about the problem of having to withstand rock strikes and still keep working accurately.

FWIW: I'm using Favero Assioma pedals on the road bike and they've been great.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
I'd be curious if there is any history of impacts on current power meter pedals causing them to fail, lose calibration, or anything like that.
Me too. But my experience with other calibrated equipment makes me lean towards not thinking it is a good idea.

I'm running spindle power right now. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I'm all stocked up on PMs but if I wasn't I'd give a hard look at the:

Favero Assioma // Xpedo SPD Hack
plusses: very accurate, durable, the only MTB cleats currently available
minuses: a little heavier, some assembly required, might require a cutout in your shoe.

...or even take a chance on the Garmin Vector 3 for race day
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/garmin-vector-3-power-meter-review.html
plusses: very accurate, light, well-guarded from impact, great power transfer
minuses: it's a road pedal, no good for mud.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yeah. I looked at the Assioma hack a while back. I used Xpedo spd pedals since the late 90s and really like them, but I didn't want to subject my Assioma pedals to the inevitable rock strikes they'd get, not only on the pedal body, but the electronics module at the crank arm. I got a left only crank based PM for the mtb.

Running the Assioma pedals on my crank PM with the bike on a Saris Hammer direct drive smart trainer, all three were within a few Watts of each other. My l/r balance varies but averages very close to 50/50 over time, so single sided works for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.