Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Garmin Edge 200. As well all know, you can make a route if the route goes on paved trails, but what if it doesn't? I essentially want to take pieces that I have mapped so far on mountain bike trails, piece them together, and make a route from that. Does anyone know of any tricks I can use to do that? I know it's not available through garmin connect.
Thanks.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,714 Posts
Routes are what you would use to navigate a ride on the roads. Something where you are riding straights, with infrequent discrete turns.

If you want to navigate on mtb trails, you need a Track. More frequent data points will reflect the actual distances better on curvy mtb trails. You would have to load the file as a course on your Edge. If you are collecting the data with the Edge 200 that you own, the track accuracy will be suspect, however, and it's quite possible that it's going to be a hassle when you get it onto the GPS, as it will give you a LOT of "off course" warnings.

Still, if you want to do something like that, you'll need a robust standalone program. Garmin's Basecamp will be able to do it, though probably not well. I use Topofusion to splice tracks together.

Topofusion is what I used to splice together this ride. Basically I took mtb rides at two trail systems that I had recorded previously, and connected them with a road segment that I sketched out by hand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts