Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
pro leisure tour
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for user input on either of these GPS units. I get lost a lot and would like to know where I am. The ability to trace my route later is good too. I don't foresee mounting this on the bar, but rather kept handy for use when stopped.

What features are good and which are ones are junk? What are the weaknesses and strengths of these units? Battery life seems to be an issue users complain of. No hearsay please, just personal experiences of actual users.

Thanks, Jay

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Search both names here in this forum using the advanced search function. There are many drawbacks and only a couple positives. One has a battery door that leaks water killing the unit. Better to go with a Vista HCX or 60CSx for the money.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
I owned an Oregon for a few months but eventually sold it. My main complaint was difficulty seeing the screen--in almost any lighting conditions.

I was using it primarily on the bars. When hiking (held in the hand) it was more tolerable.

There are some advantages -- things run faster, less track limitations, good software, but in the end the lack of visibility was a deal killer for me. The touch screen is also a little hard to operate with long fingered gloves (what I ride with 100% of the time).

I'd echo what slocaus said -- I'd consider the VistaHCX or 60CSX over the Oregon/Colorado, esp. since they are so cheap these days.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have an Oregon 400t and I think it works well for what it is intended for. Using it for a back up and not on the bars, it might work well for you. I have a 305 that is on the bars. The Oregon has so many features that I can use (play with) that I thought it was worth buying when I found it on sale. I would not use it as a primary though for mtn biking - too clunky and heavy

·
pro leisure tour
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what if it was free

Thanks for the input on this. Loads of good info here. I don't plan to use it on the bars, but rather more like a trail map so that I would always know where I am. Nobody complained about battery life. Is that still a problem? Is price the bigger drawback, or screen issues?

I guess the bottom line would be if someone gave you "any GPS you want" what would you choose?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I would probably not be able to decided because there are so many different features for different uses. For me the 305 and the 400t cover just about everything. If you are not worried about being on the bars the 400 might work well, bring extra batteries though if you're going out for more than the day. The screen is not that big a deal if you are only checking once in a while.Get rechargeables.

·
pro leisure tour
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Kingdomseeder,

I'm thinking Oregon. Rechargeables, check. No more getting lost! (well, maybe a little:ihih: )

Jay

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
sparkyJ said:
Thanks for the input on this. Loads of good info here. I don't plan to use it on the bars, but rather more like a trail map so that I would always know where I am. Nobody complained about battery life. Is that still a problem? Is price the bigger drawback, or screen issues?

I guess the bottom line would be if someone gave you "any GPS you want" what would you choose?
Battery life seemed OK to me. I used mine on a 3 day, 100+ mile singletrack tour, and I only used two sets of rechargeable batts.

If price is no object and you're not using it on the bars, it'll probably work for you. The touch screen is fun/easy to use, just not when you're riding :eek:.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.