Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people prefer for their Garmin mounts? is there a reason that MTB ones tend to be on or over the stem? Anything out there that feels a bit higher quality vs standard plastic ones?

(70mm stem on a full suspension bike, if that makes a difference)

What about the combo mounts for a camera or light as well? Those would need to be out front, right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Humm, not sure why my original reply isn't showing up.

There are a few preferred.

The out front mount isn't too preferred as it's more prone to taking a hit. There is a road bike version (long) and MTB option (shorter). The MTB out front mount can be installed backward so it sits over top of the stem, less likely to take a hit.

The O-Rings are used by some. Some purchase a top cap mount, but you need to add a 5mm spacer to top of the stem for this to work.

Some people even mount it to the top tube for some reason.

Look in the GPS forum, you'll find more results. A Garmin device isn't a component.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I used to like exactly the standard plastic one, that mounts with rubber bands on the handlebar. They are far enough from my body and they rotate around the bar in case of crash.

The aluminum support for garmin and flashlight/camera works good for road, but I don't like it much for MTB. Too rigid, and will likely break my equipment before breaking themselves.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
...The aluminum support ...too rigid, and will likely break my equipment before breaking themselves.
Yeah. For some applications, plastic is better. I use a Barfly plastic mount to position the Garmin behind the bar, tightened just enough to keep it from rotating around the bar on it's own, but loose enough that it'll move easily when hit protecting the Garmin. Also, the plastic won't dig in or damage carbon bars in a crash

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I've been trying to find some reliable toptube mount since forever and haven't been able to yet. What I do is the standard quarter turn mount and rubber rings and use a ziptie to connect the rubber under the top tube, not pretty but works. wish garmin made extra long rubber rings.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've been trying to find some reliable toptube mount since forever and haven't been able to yet. What I do is the standard quarter turn mount and rubber rings and use a ziptie to connect the rubber under the top tube, not pretty but works. wish garmin made extra long rubber rings.
K Edge makes a number of different top tube mounts. They replace a 5mm spacer.
Top tube or top cap?
Sounds like MFA is referring to the bicycle top tube and MattMay is referring to "top of the stem".

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
The insert can be removed from a K Edge mount. You can always try and use some double sided tape (the 3M stuff. If it can hold a spoiler to a car...why not a Gamin?) or some other creative way to mount it to the top tube. I would definitely use a leash for the Garmin if you're trying to experiment.

Motor vehicle Transport Fender Iron Motorcycle

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
here's how I have now

I saw this on ews youtube video but couldn't figure put what it is

it's on leigh johnson's Pole, looks some dual side 3m thing like suggested

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.