Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Edge 705

Couple questions.
On startup when it displays the garmin info, isnt there a way to edit the text for something custom?
company has a GPSMAP unit and on startup it displays Company name & info (Its at a different office so its not like I can plug in and check settings)

Secondly. Just after I bought it I was having fun and took a mess of waypoints. How do I get rid of them? While the unit is plugged into my laptop I cannot see anything that looks waypoint-ish to remove. Every time I use Base Camp to upload my latest ride I have to scroll past all of those waypoints (and the default Garmin points).

·
since 4/10/2009
31,520 Posts
1. Look for a "startup.txt" file. On my Oregon 450, it is in the Garmin folder.

2. Look for a file(s) with "Waypoints____.gpx" or something similar. My Oregon stores waypoints in the gpx folder with tracklogs, and waypoints files say that they're waypoints, along with a date. Geocaches get stored in a different .gpx file. That said, your Edge 705 may arrange things differently. Either way, they will be in some kind of .gpx file, so start looking at the ones on your device. To get rid of them in Basecamp, just select and delete. That works well when there are only a few. If you have a serious pile that you want to clear out, it will be less efficient. I'm not sure if you can select/delete groups of waypoints in Basecamp.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure I tried deleting in Base Camp, only to have them show back up the next time I did a retrieve from device.
Not really a big deal. been working around them forever it seems. Would just like to get rid of them once & for all.

I'll double-check tonite. None of my cables here at [email protected] are the right kind.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,520 Posts
You have to make sure you're viewing the content on the device, not the content that Basecamp has downloaded to your computer from the device (leaving data on the device intact).

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
#1, no, that was added in the 800 series but cannot be done in the 700

#1 Menu, Where to?, Find Places, Favorites, Delete.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK no txt file. there is a xml but I didn't see anything in there. nothing to indicate waypoints either.

Apparently with Base Camp (or Mapsource) you cant delete data from the device. I sure couldnt. I could 'send to' but all that did was put it on my laptop.

slocaus's way to delete worked. Thanks :) I looked around the menu and I didnt find that. crazy place to put it. also you delete all waypoints in one go so if there are any you want to keep, make sure you upload to computer first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts