Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Read these:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-530-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-830-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04...with-ant-bluetooth-smart-in-depth-review.html

The one thing I've always wanted and never got from Garmin was a device where the basic features worked reliably. They always bail on a product before they get it right. The touch screen on the 820 is an abomination. I've had three between buying one, a warranty replacement, and a replacement after breaking one. That's not saying anything about all the bugs. It's very rare I go for a ride and everything works as it should. 520 has plenty of it's own problems. I have one of those too. With previous units I would run down-rev firmware as the final version usually screwed up more things than it fixed.

With these two new units, they've piled in so many new features I can't imagine them ever working right. None of the simpler previous units ever did.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,314 Posts
Thank goodness the 530 keeps real buttons. I'm not going anywhere near a touchscreen, even if it functions as intended.

Most of it I don't care about, though. All those metrics - meh. Also don't care about all the connectivity with the phone. The one exception being the two security functions - find my gps and the "lock" mode.

Things I do care about:
Improved battery life - yay! always a good thing! appears this is at least in part due to using a new GPS chipset

Added more satellites - adding the Galileo satellites is a good move. I was wondering when this was going to happen on more devices. got my answer. Curious which location options perform best under which circumstances, though. which is going to be a massively complicated question, of course.

Maps - I don't need anything complicated. Just enough memory for maps. One thing not clear is whether the trailforks maps baked into the device ever get updated. the strength of services like TF and MTBProject is that they can be updated if something about the trial network changes.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Maybe I got lucky...maybe the 510 doesn't have many problems...but I've not had one issue with mine. It's not the latest and greatest but it has served me well for years and does all I need it to do. When the time comes for something new...not sure I'd go with a Garmin again. They do seem to have a ton of issues with a lot of their products.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Most of the "new functions" on the 520+ (vs. the 520) don't work in any meaningful way.

So I'm not going to bother reading what "newer functions" garmin would have me believe are included on the 530

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Maybe I got lucky...maybe the 510 doesn't have many problems...but I've not had one issue with mine. It's not the latest and greatest but it has served me well for years and does all I need it to do. When the time comes for something new...not sure I'd go with a Garmin again. They do seem to have a ton of issues with a lot of their products.
Mine is super slow, it got corrupted somehow and I had to hard reset it and make all my training pages and stuff again, and locks up for 5-10 seconds sometimes. I personally can't wait to get rid of my 510 if the new one is going to be better.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ I fell for that at least 4 times in a row now. Instead each new model was just a whole new can of worms, appallingly bad, especially at the start. I'm looking forward to the 830!

·
Registered
54 Posts
My quick review on the Edge 830 and 530

So I picked up a 830 and 530. It's my first time with a bike computer. My plan is to use it for the following: Bike alarm, incident detection, live track, tracking other riders in my group, looking at trail maps, and overall data collection.

Here are my initial thoughts: (I DID NOT READ THE ENTIRE MANUAL, so a lot of my complaints might be on me)

1. Bike Alarm: alarm is not loud enough on the device. The main benefit is the notification on your cell that your bike is being stolen. Not sure about the range since I didn't test it. Overall I'd rate it a C.

2. The live track feature is supposed to send an email every time it starts, it sends an email 50% of the time. I've only used it for 3 days, but 2 of 3 days, the live track webpage didn't work. Rating of F since it doesn't every time. Rating of B when it does work. I'm not sure if incident detection will work if live track isn't working so that concerns me.

3. Ease of Use: I consider myself to be a gadget lover - but this thing is NOT intuitive. I can't figure out how to get into the mode where I see the other rider. Did a ride with a buddy and he was in my shared contacts list and we were both connected, but no idea how to get it to work. No, I didn't read the manual, I'll do that next. Rating D.

How do I get to the mode where I can see other riders?

4. The trail maps are ok. Rating C. There is a feature when you get to a fork, it's supposed to show you the options, didn't happen for me. Since the trails are wooded, it's hard to tell if you're facing the correct direction. When I did a road ride, the maps were great.

5. Accuracy. On a trail ride, strava on my phone showed 9.6 miles, the Garmin 7.2 miles. Not sure which one is more accurate.

6. Touchscreen vs Not: I much prefer the touchscreen. Easier to navigate the menus which are already confusing and too many. The touch didn't seem to recognize the swipe 100% of the time while on the trail and that was annoying.

7. I have SRAM AXS shifting. I was told Garmin can show data from AXS, not sure how since I didn't see anything in the Garmin store about AXS.

8. I wish I could see the map and current speed in one screen.

9. I like txt messages showing up on screen.

10. The screen in daylight is amazing.

I'll keep playing with it but wanted to share some initial feedback.

Product Finger Bicycle accessory Electronic device Technology

·
since 4/10/2009
34,314 Posts
Looks like some of the complaints are related to unrealistic expectations, potentially due to being insufficiently aware of how these things actually work, especially on a mtb. Some, because RTFM. Others, because Garmin produces shitty manuals, anyway, that don't describe every feature on every device. To learn everything about them, you have to spend time digging through the menus and exploring. You just have to.

And, of course, I'm jaded enough that I know that all these extra features are on the device to begin with because of people like you who always want more more more out of a device. Little computers like this work better when they have fewer features. They have limited processing power and battery life, anyway, and the more extras you enable and use, the worse the performance will be.

And that's not even considering whether all of those extras are well-implemented. There's a long history of device manufacturers putting something on a device just to have some new feature, but then that feature doesn't really work all that well. Navigation on mtb trails is a good one for these computers. The computer will let you navigate mtb trails like roads, but it's not going to work as well that way. Live Tracking is another. That feature has existed for years, and it doesn't work that well. This is one of those things that is easy enough to learn about if you'd done your research. There are a whole lot of hardware reasons why. And then the software just appears to not work very well, either. The list just goes on.

I can see the current speed on the map screen of my Edge 520 if I want. I do not, so I do not display it. But I bet your Edge 530 will, too.

I don't GAF about messages from people while I'm riding. Riding is my "me" time and everybody else can go f*ck themselves if they can't wait until I'm done. My friends and family are aware of this and expect that I'll return messages or calls when I can. I ride in an area with extremely erratic reception and I work jobs where I cannot respond immediately, anyway. My wife's parents don't get this and she has issues with them calling because she won't just put her foot down.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got mine last week and it's acting wonky. doubling the mileage and giving crappy gps data. I'll post up a review in the next week or so.

·
Registered
17,220 Posts
Read these:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-530-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-830-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04...with-ant-bluetooth-smart-in-depth-review.html

The one thing I've always wanted and never got from Garmin was a device where the basic features worked reliably. They always bail on a product before they get it right. The touch screen on the 820 is an abomination. I've had three between buying one, a warranty replacement, and a replacement after breaking one. That's not saying anything about all the bugs. It's very rare I go for a ride and everything works as it should. 520 has plenty of it's own problems. I have one of those too. With previous units I would run down-rev firmware as the final version usually screwed up more things than it fixed.

With these two new units, they've piled in so many new features I can't imagine them ever working right. None of the simpler previous units ever did.
DC says the 530 is garmins best unit yet and didn't seem to find any major flaws with it. I picked up a 520 about a month ago and so far it's been perfect but I only use a small portion of it's features.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
2. The live track feature is supposed to send an email every time it starts, it sends an email 50% of the time. I've only used it for 3 days, but 2 of 3 days, the live track webpage didn't work. Rating of F since it doesn't every time. Rating of B when it does work. I'm not sure if incident detection will work if live track isn't working so that concerns me.
It won't. At least, it didn't the time mine went off randomly and the button presses to cancel it didn't work in the cold. It said the distress message had been sent. It hadn't.

There seem to be some very broad issues with pretty much all of garmin's units staying connected to android phones. Previously Garmin support blamed my old beat-up android-m phone, and I was tempted to believe them.... but a year later, I just bought a pixel 3... Which so far has improved absolutely nothing about Garmin's phone connection issues.

As I've mentioned before, my old 520 worked perfectly with livetrack in 2015.

At least, I think it did... because the 4 years of hardware and software "upgrades" made since then have been so dysfunctional, I'm seriously starting to wonder if I imagined the whole thing.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yea - it's ok. I had some issues with not swiping left and right every time but it happened last night without gloves. But overall it's not bad, just not smartphone good.
thanks! I was just reading some other comments online and folks were saying it works so long as the glove has some rubber on the tip of the finger. This may be my next bike computer.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think an important note on the touch screen is not to compare it against sensitivity with a smart phone and other mobile devices. Just think about how often your screen would be changing if it was uber sensitive. I believe it was by design that it is less sensitive to avoid accidental screen input.

1 - 20 of 323 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.