Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 746 Posts

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from the Garmin Edge 20 and 25 announcement Garmin have launched a Garmin Edge 520 as well. This is a replacement for the Garmin Edge 500 and Garmin Edge 510.

The new Garmin Edge 520: Everything you ever wanted to know | DC Rainmaker

Garmin Edge 520 launches, featuring Strava Live Segments - BikeRadar

My first impressions are that this is looking like the GPS cycle computer to buy. It appears to have most of the functionality of the other Edge models in a smaller form factor. Turn by turn navigation is missing but you can load basemaps onto it to see where you are.

– Added on-device Strava Segment integration
– Added basemap to device
– Added ability to download 3rd party detailed maps
– Added Bluetooth Smart Text & Call Notifications (previously on Edge 1000)
– Added Recovery Advisor metrics (previously only on some Running/Tri units)
– Added VO2 Max Estimation (previously only on some newer Garmin units)
– Added Personal Records
– Added Cycling Dynamics metrics (previously only on some newer Garmin units)
– Added ability to control Garmin Varia bike lights
– Added integration with Garmin Varia bike radar system
– Added ANT+ FE-C Trainer Control
– Addition of GLONASS support (was in Edge 510, but not 810 or 500)

In addition to the above, when compared to the Edge 500, you’ll find these new features that have been added to most Garmin devices as of late. These are all present/added on the Edge 520:

– Integrated Live Tracking with phone
– Integrated Bluetooth Smart uploads to your mobile phone (and then sync’d to Strava/Training Peaks/Sport Tracks/etc…)
– Ability to download courses and workouts from phone to Edge 520
– Sensor pool concept & Activity Profiles (no bike profiles)
– Support for Edge Remote Control accessory
– Support for Shimano Di2 integration
– Support for Garmin VIRB control/integration
– Added Training Calendar support
– Added Auto Sleep option (turns off if not used for a while)
– Added Lap summary page (seen on Edge 510/810/1000, but not Edge 500)
– Support for ANT+ sensor types: Cadence sensors, Heart Rate Sensors, Power Meters, Speed Sensors, Speed/Cadence Sensors, VIRB action cams, Weight Scales"
dcrainmaker

·
since 4/10/2009
30,901 Posts
Still with the dropping battery life. A loss of 5 hours compared to the Edge 510. For me, I think 15 hours is about a minimum, but 20 is strongly preferred.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The 520 looks like a pretty good device. With my 510, I would like the ability to overlay my breadcrumb trail over a map. That way, I wouldn't have to use Google Maps on my phone (and hope I have data service!) to triangulate my position and figure out where I missed the turn. Seems like a great feature.

Price point seems pretty spot on, as well as the size -- I wouldn't want anything larger than the 510 on my bars. Looking forward to seeing real world reviews of this one.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like they should be available to buy in the UK by the end of July 2015. At £239.95 GBP for a basic unit without sensors I'm very tempted just to order one.

My concern is that with Garmin GPS units being an early adopter often isn't a good idea. There have been so many well documented software issues with previous units initially (Garmin Edge 1000 being the notable recent one) that even if the hardware is perfect the device may need several firmware updates to fix any bugs and reliability problems that exist.

·
DFMBA.org
1,872 Posts
Real-time Strava segments!? That's not going to turn out well for someone. Why the hell don't they just make the thing orange.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
One of my only gripes with the 510 is not seeing texts and phone numbers appear on the screen. This will do that when blue toothed to my phone, so I'll know whether or not to stop and answer??

·
Registered
234 Posts
One of my only gripes with the 510 is not seeing texts and phone numbers appear on the screen. This will do that when blue toothed to my phone, so I'll know whether or not to stop and answer??
Thats easy, don't need no widget to tell me.
Never.

Airplane mode that *****.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The 20% off at Performance deal pushed me off the ledge to buy my first GPS. I really could have used on last week.

Question: I don't particularly have a use for a cadence or heart rate monitor so I bought the base Edge 520. Is the speed sensor a worthwhile purchase? I will be using the 520 on a road and mountain bike.

And oh, Performance showed the unit "in stock" but after my order, I received the back order notice. I was kind of expecting it....

·
Registered
234 Posts
The 20% off at Performance deal pushed me off the ledge to buy my first GPS. I really could have used on last week.

Question: I don't particularly have a use for a cadence or heart rate monitor so I bought the base Edge 520. Is the speed sensor a worthwhile purchase? I will be using the 520 on a road and mountain bike.

And oh, Performance showed the unit "in stock" but after my order, I received the back order notice. I was kind of expecting it....
It showed as a preorder, avail 7/28

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
since 4/10/2009
30,901 Posts
A speed sensor is worthwhile on a mtb especially. If you want accurate distance tracking, the sensor will improve distance recording accuracy.

I was really looking at the spec sheet on the new Garmins, and I noticed that the Edge 520 does NOT have a touchscreen. I actually like that feature, but I think it's important to note. It's not really mentioned on Garmin's website, but it was on the product literature Garmin sent to my shop because they're a Garmin dealer.

Also worth noting, when doing a feature comparison on Garmin's website:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cat...p?compareProduct=166370&compareProduct=112912

The Edge 520 is NOT listed as being shock resistant. I dunno, but that sorta feels to me like it should be an important feature for the mtb. Also, the Edge 520 does not have an expandable memory card slot. And while it looks like the ability to add maps has been added, it's not a feature that's listed on Garmin's website yet. And, there's really no mention of memory capacity for the extra maps you're supposed to be able to load.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
By giving it the edge 520 name I think Garmin wants you to believe it is a slightly better unit then the 510.

Which I think it is.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,901 Posts
By giving it the edge 520 name I think Garmin wants you to believe it is a slightly better unit then the 510.

Which I think it is.
If you consider "number of features" as being "better" then yeah, I see that. With that said, Garmin has created some expectations with their other models that can accept maps. Storage space for those maps, for one. The Edge 520 differs from previous mapping models in that respect. You have to rely exclusively on the internal memory for maps. And Garmin's not saying how much there is at this point.

I also think that if this model truly isn't shock resistant, that's a step backwards. That has long been one of the reasons to use a Garmin instead of mounting a smartphone on your handlebars. We know ejected Garmins happen from time to time, especially in crashes. I think that shock resistance is important, and I think some smartphone manufacturers get it, too. There are sports-associated smartphones out there now that are shock resistant.

I also think the reduction in battery life associated with all of those extra features is a downgrade.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you consider "number of features" as being "better" then yeah, I see that. With that said, Garmin has created some expectations with their other models that can accept maps. Storage space for those maps, for one. The Edge 520 differs from previous mapping models in that respect. You have to rely exclusively on the internal memory for maps. And Garmin's not saying how much there is at this point.
The dcrainmaker article goes into detail about this. Around 50mb of internal memory is available on the Garmin Edge 520. If you load a third party map onto the device that takes up around 40mb, leaving 10mb free space for recording rides and anything else. That 40mb of maps consists of your local region, a few hundred miles. There isn't enough space to have a larger area, such as an entire continent, on the Garmin Edge 520. The map file size would be too big for the device.

That is quite low. You'd think that they could have easily and cheaply expanded that onboard memory, for more future proofing, without it costing much more.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,901 Posts
The dcrainmaker article goes into detail about this. Around 50mb of internal memory is available on the Garmin Edge 520. If you load a third party map onto the device that takes up around 40mb, leaving 10mb free space for recording rides and anything else. That 40mb of maps consists of your local region, a few hundred miles. There isn't enough space to have a larger area, such as an entire continent, on the Garmin Edge 520. The map file size would be too big for the device.

That is quite low. You'd think that they could have easily and cheaply expanded that onboard memory, for more future proofing, without it costing much more.
Yeah, 40mb is not much. To be fair, that will probably suit most people most of the time, but if you travel much, you'll have to be installing new maps pretty frequently. It is better than nothing, but it's important for people to understand before buying this model that their expectations for mapping should not be the same as for the Edge 810, 1000, or any of the hiking models. But of course there will be people who didn't do their research before buying this, who will wind up being disappointed. I'll say we'll see our first one here in the forum within 2 weeks of first availability of this model.

On a side note, it looks like I lost my Oregon 450 on my recent trip to TN and GA. Though my contact info is in the startup screen, chances are small that it'll get returned to me. Which means I'll be needing to replace it with another mapping GPS at some point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also think that if this model truly isn't shock resistant, that's a step backwards. That has long been one of the reasons to use a Garmin instead of mounting a smartphone on your handlebars. We know ejected Garmins happen from time to time, especially in crashes. I think that shock resistance is important, and I think some smartphone manufacturers get it, too. There are sports-associated smartphones out there now that are shock resistant.
I checked with Garmin after ordering and it is shock resistant. Just an omission in the specs.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

The Edge 520 is shock resistant. I am not sure why it doesn't show it on our specs page.

With Best Regards,

Aaron

Customer Care - Fitness Team
Garmin International

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am especially curious about accuracy and how this works with the sensor. I had a Garmin unit before but returned it to REI because the mileage was always off. I understood that this was the satellite losing visibility due to tree cover, and/or not enough data points on tight, twisty trails.

Will the sensor fix these problems?

1 - 20 of 746 Posts