Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's my motivation to push hard in a ride? Well, in a group it's to keep up and not get dropped, but when I'm alone, it get's a bit harder. I just got an Edge 305 for my 30th b-day (yikes!) and let me tell you, that courses thingy it does is awesome. I rode my commute to work, and home from work last Firday, then yesterday I ran myself against Friday's ride, both to and from work.

So now I'm racing myself, my imaginary self, the little white dot on the screen. On the ride in, the first 2 or 3 miles are a creshendo as I warm up, wake up, and pick up the pace. But this day was differnt, insead of the usual spin at 16mph, I got chased by two large dogs, one looked like it could have been a great dane mix, HUGE! So, I get to do an early impromtu sprint up to 26mph. That pulled my lead over me by a bit, and I held it the rest of the way to work and "won" by 41sec.

The ride home was more eventful. I started slower and made up time on myself, then got stuck behind stupid drivers that were too chicken to turn right on red when it was clear, so while I waited I got to watch my past self catch me, and blow by me. Once I got going again, it was on. I hammered to get back up again, and passed myself, then agian, a long red light put me behind. For the next two miles or so, I lost sight of myself, until I hit the only real climb home. It's about a max 5% grade, but short, about a mile long, but the last part is only steep for about 1/4 mile. I hit that hill harder than ever, didn't downsift, stood up and pedaled my heart out and BLEW right by me (I held 18mph until that las steep part, and then I downshifted and held 14mph, good for me). It really shows how much time is made up or lost on the climbs. Then all I did was concentrate on maintaining for the last 3 miles home. I even threw in a finish line sprint for the heck of it.

It was fun. I dig the edge 305+hr. In about 1/2hr from now we are doing our lunchtime group ride and look forward to making a "course" out of that too. It's an excellent toy for the techno-geek cyclist.

BM

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did a course today for the first time, I beat myself pretty good. I was weird, because as I made up time, I was thinking were the other self was on the track and if he was hitting a slow spot.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No forests for quite some distance from me, but my 305 gets satelite reception from iside of my one story wood framed house. It does not however, get reception insde the steel framed sheet metal building where I work. My Forerunner 201 would not get any reception inside of my house, so it's a good improvement. Even while riding sometimes the 201 would lose reception and there'd be a "blank" spot in my ride.

BM

·
Registered
19 Posts
JohnnyCanuck said:
I have been thinking of getting one for mountain biking. Any idea how it work under a forest canopy?
I ride in the trees, no issues with reception at all. And I get reception in my two story house, I sit about 10 feet from the window, and I get a 3d fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.