Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... at Best Buy. At least the one in Pinole, CA had two in stock (had, before I got one). It was marked Clearance at $160. When I got to the checkout, it was $135... $145 and change after tax.

This is the HRM version that does not include the speed/cadence sensor, but I can get one of those for pretty cheap on fleabay.

Dunno if this would apply to other Best Buy stores, but worth looking if you are in the market for one of these things.

*edit*

Oh, and it wasn't on the website.

·
pedal me happy
202 Posts
Thanks for the info I had been looking on E-bay and found a couple places selling them
for 220 but I went to my local best buy and picked up for the same price as you.
Killer deal and I didn't have to wait for it to be shipped I found the cad/spd sensor
for 45 bucks so I need to get one ordered.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found one....

eatsleepbikes said:
Thanks for the info I had been looking on E-bay and found a couple places selling them
for 220 but I went to my local best buy and picked up for the same price as you.
Killer deal and I didn't have to wait for it to be shipped I found the cad/spd sensor
for 45 bucks so I need to get one ordered.
for $32 landed on fleabay... new with generic packaging and no instructions. Don't need those anyway. IIRC, they had a bunch of them.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. this thing is cool

pimpbot said:
... at Best Buy. At least the one in Pinole, CA had two in stock (had, before I got one). It was marked Clearance at $160. When I got to the checkout, it was $135... $145 and change after tax.

This is the HRM version that does not include the speed/cadence sensor, but I can get one of those for pretty cheap on fleabay.

Dunno if this would apply to other Best Buy stores, but worth looking if you are in the market for one of these things.

*edit*

I did a ride with it yesterday. There is a lot I need to learn about it, but here is my track:

http://www.mtbguru.com/trip/show_static/12385-china-camp-fig8-loop

·
Registered
356 Posts
nomit said:
^i recognize that avatar. h-t ftw. :p

i just checked my local bestbuy. didn't have any :(

i already have one, but i definitely would've bought one or two and sold on ebay/craigslist for a $40-50 profit.
i guess im not the only one from h-t all so

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
Stripes said:
10 hours of battery life for the 705, and 20-30 hours for the Vista HCx.
Garmin says 15hrs
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=10885#specsTab

And shortened battery life is the price you pay for a slimmed receiver with a rechargeable battery.

E705
2" x 4.3" x 1" (5.1 x 10.9 x 2.5 cm) Display 1.37" x 1.71" (3.48 x 4.36 cm); 2.2" diag (5.6 cm) 3.7oz
eTrex
2.2" x 4.2" x 1.2" (5.6 x 10.7 x 3.0 cm) Display 1.3" x 1.7" (3.3 x 4.3 cm) 5.5oz

It's not a big difference, but it is a difference. Edge has the bigger screen with the smaller size. Hence, less room for battery. Weight is a big difference, also.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, but really...

Stripes said:
10 hours of battery life for the 705, and 20-30 hours for the Vista HCx.
....Do you ride more than 10 hours at a time? You can charge it up with the USB port. Seems to be that you can use any one of the zillions of external USB batteries to run it as long as you want, if that really was an issue (including ones that us AA batteries)... say for a 24 hour race or long bike tour.

The 305 is the same 10 hour battery.

I considered the Vista for a while, but its just so frickin bulky, and no provisions for cadence or heart rate. It has a lot of other advantages over the 305, but being a bike computer was #1 priority for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for this info pimpbot! I scored one for $132.99 at our local BestBuy (sku 8455913) on the 26th! It was the last one in that store and I'm excited to use it next Saturday on a metric century trail ride (Tour de Felasco). Lots of things to read on the manual and I found it easier and faster to read online reviews and how people are actually using it.

·
I win.
713 Posts
Just called all the stores in the Orlando area and they're all out :(

I already have a 305 but I know some friends were wanting some. Oh well.

Thanks anyways for the tip guys!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
edge 305 nice unit, but i use my foreunner 405 w/delorme pn-40 much more

if you just need h-r. i recomend a cheap polar and a delorme if you are an off-road person:thumbsup:

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Already had that

jkmacman said:
edge 305 nice unit, but i use my foreunner 405 w/delorme pn-40 much more

if you just need h-r. i recomend a cheap polar and a delorme if you are an off-road person:thumbsup:
I was rocking a bike computer and HRM on the bars and an altimeter on my wrist, in addition to lockout levers all over. Everybody gave me crap about it, calling it pimpy's dashboard. It became a PITA for night rides, too... with all that crap going on.

I picked up at Specialized P-Brain at a swap meet for super cheap, and loved that it combined the bike computer with altitude and HRM, although I couldn't figure out all the features without the manual.

What made me want to go with this is that it has all the stuff I needed in 3 devices in one simple gadget, plus of course GPS.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Antioch, CA....

pimpbot said:

*edit*

... Best Buy has one new one left in the box.... if anybody is interested.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.