Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be careful with the new 2.70 Firmware update. I just spent three hours and four different computers later I was able to complete the update. After using the Web Updater by Garmin it finds Firmware 2.70, but after running that update it wipes out the GPS software so you're stuck with unit firmware of 2.70 and no GPS software which makes your Garmin a paperweight, or as I learned last night a great timer. After many attempts and installing the the Web Updater on a 4th PC I was able to reinstall 2.70, and install GPS software 2.60 successfully.

The issue seems to be with the current web updater software, but no one really knows for sure. If you use your current web updater to update to the unit software 2.70 after "checking for other updates" and selecting GPS update it will get to 6% of that update and spit a generic error message. (IMO) it's not worth the hassle and the 45 minute wait time for Garmin technical support. Stick to your current version until they find a better solution. It seems to be back to normal but I won't find out until after my ride tomorrow.
 

·
3.14159265358979323846…
Joined
·
2,847 Posts
LJ0913 said:
Be careful with the new 2.70 Firmware update. I just spent three hours and four different computers later I was able to complete the update. After using the Web Updater by Garmin it finds Firmware 2.70, but after running that update it wipes out the GPS software so you're stuck with unit firmware of 2.70 and no GPS software which makes your Garmin a paperweight, or as I learned last night a great timer. After many attempts and installing the the Web Updater on a 4th PC I was able to reinstall 2.70, and install GPS software 2.60 successfully.

The issue seems to be with the current web updater software, but no one really knows for sure. If you use your current web updater to update to the unit software 2.70 after "checking for other updates" and selecting GPS update it will get to 6% of that update and spit a generic error message. (IMO) it's not worth the hassle and the 45 minute wait time for Garmin technical support. Stick to your current version until they find a better solution. It seems to be back to normal but I won't find out until after my ride tomorrow.
Thanks for the update update Larry.
I hope it all works out and the unit works as it should.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
velocipus said:
Thanks for the update update Larry.
I hope it all works out and the unit works as it should.
Yeah there is nothing worse than a paper weight that cost you a couple of hundred bucks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Acadian said:
when did the 2.70 firmware come out? I recall updating to 2.6 not too long ago..
It's a quick turn around. 2.70 came out June 29th, and the GPS software 2.60 (two separate updates) came out June 30th. Firmware 2.60 came out in Early/mid May.

-Larry
 

·
Too Much Fun
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
What other issues are there with the 305?

I'm REAL close to picking one up but I'm just now doing research on it. I know most users love it but what are the downsides, other then this wack update?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
benja55 said:
I'm REAL close to picking one up but I'm just now doing research on it. I know most users love it but what are the downsides, other then this wack update?
I opted for the 205 since I don't care about cadence or heart rate. Some say the 205 is more reliable since it doesn't have to refer to HRM software or cadence software. Personally I've been pleased with my 205, I've dropped it down some stairs and had a pretty bad crash with it once still looks new and still runs like a champ.

After speaking to a Garmin Technical Support it seems as if the Web Updater software is faulty and causes this latest update to go wacky. Since these units use WAAS the GPS Software 2.60 had an update that I wanted to update too. But it was too much of a pain for that one update for me.

Not sure if you've been to MotionBased.com (which Garmin bought) they have fourms for the Edge 205 and 305 only. Here's a thread that was just started yesterday "which is more durable 205 or 305." http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?topic=3128.0

Good luck with your search. I've had my Edge since February and am really happy with it.

Best,
-Larry
 

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
Joined
·
3,584 Posts
I have the 305CAD and HR...When I dont' use either the HR or CAD, I simply turn it off. I don't think the 205 is any more/less reliable - they are both the same. if you don't plan on using the HR or CAD, just get the 205 and save yourself some $$. I don't use the CAD, but I like to know I have it if I decided to use it. The HR I just started using recently.

I got mine in late may and been really digging it so far. Turn it on and forget about it…then when you get home download your ride to Motionbased (I also got that service) and it rocks… the Google Earth exports are pretty damn killer. And it cool that MB keeps track of all your rides (separately and cumulative).

I’m pretty stoked with my device so far. I never used any wired cyclometer because I hate having wires all over my bike. The wireless ones also have some issues. The Edge doesn’t use anything more than a handlebar/stem mount.

Pretty nice gaget if you ask me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I love my 205, but you have to keep in mind that the mileage is not quite accurate. It measures the distance between two straight lines and misses out on actual wheel travel and ups and downs. For example I did a 12 mile ride last night and had 11.9M on the 205. Everyone else had 12.5-12.6M on their cycling computers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Acadian said:
I have the 305CAD and HR...When I dont' use either the HR or CAD, I simply turn it off. I don't think the 205 is any more/less reliable - they are both the same. if you don't plan on using the HR or CAD, just get the 205 and save yourself some $$. I don't use the CAD, but I like to know I have it if I decided to use it. The HR I just started using recently.

I got mine in late may and been really digging it so far. Turn it on and forget about it…then when you get home download your ride to Motionbased (I also got that service) and it rocks… the Google Earth exports are pretty damn killer. And it cool that MB keeps track of all your rides (separately and cumulative).

I'm pretty stoked with my device so far. I never used any wired cyclometer because I hate having wires all over my bike. The wireless ones also have some issues. The Edge doesn't use anything more than a handlebar/stem mount.

Pretty nice gaget if you ask me...
I agree about the 205 vs. 305. I don't think there is any difference in the two other than options. I knew I was never going to use the HRM, or Cadence and I am glad Garmin has the 205 as an option at a lower cost.
 

·
Too Much Fun
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
LJ0913 said:
I agree about the 205 vs. 305. I don't think there is any difference in the two other than options. I knew I was never going to use the HRM, or Cadence
So does the HRM on the 305 suck? Thats part of the appeal. I haven't been riding with one for a few years and want to get a new one. Then I spotted all the cool stuff people are doing with the 205/305 and though "why not kill two gadgets with one stone!" :)

But I often find that gadgets that try to do too much often suck ass. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
benja55 said:
So does the HRM on the 305 suck? Thats part of the appeal. I haven't been riding with one for a few years and want to get a new one. Then I spotted all the cool stuff people are doing with the 205/305 and though "why not kill two gadgets with one stone!" :)

But I often find that gadgets that try to do too much often suck ass. :confused:
Benja - unfortunately I don't have the 305 (I have the 205) so I am not sure how well the HRM works. Perhaps Acadian could jump in and give his feedback with his 305.
 

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
Joined
·
3,584 Posts
LJ0913 said:
Benja - unfortunately I don't have the 305 (I have the 205) so I am not sure how well the HRM works. Perhaps Acadian could jump in and give his feedback with his 305.
like I said - I just recently started using the HR on mine. One day I do a test and compare my Suunto HR with the Edge one and see how accurate it is. I don't know why it wouldn't be accurate?
 

·
Two Tired
Joined
·
396 Posts
305 HR is OK

I upgraded from a eTrex Vista to a 305. Because the price differential was small, I got the 305 with HR only as an experiment. HR works well and is an interesting toy. However, I have noticed a strong correlation between high heart rate and sucking air:). I do have a record of the HR after the ride, so that is fun if you are into it.

By the way, so far the GPS tracking has been great...much better than the Vista. I did a long ride on Sunday and it ran for 11 hours without a problem. My only problem is getting used to starting it (there was no start function on the Vista).

The on-line MotionBased software is good but deathly slooooooooooow:mad:

Go for it.
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
Edge for monitor of ride, not navigation

Trying looking around by typing GPS in the search box at the top in the Passion and the General Discussion forums. You find things like at this thread, for features of GPS.
I did an overview of the Garmin line for MTB utility on
this post. Rest of good thread here.

The Edge is popular due to it's small size, excellent reception, and simplicity. But stay away from the Edge if you want navigation for MTB as it doesn't store or show maps. It's more of a roadie GPS to replace a bike computer. But you can use it to monitor your ride route and stats for later. It can also monitor Heart Rate and other ride stats. The Edge line also has limited battery life for epic rides, and other issues. See links below.


Note the distance on any GPS will be about 5 to 10% lower than a bike computer, due to rounding of turns, etc., so it doesn't fully replace a bike computer. I have a separate simple wheel counter computer on my bike. Or you can just multiply the GPS odometer by 1.1 and get fairly close.

For the same price as the Edge, you can get the eTrex Vista Cx for $280, with expandable memory, color screen, and robust for handlebar mount. My Vista has survived 3 years on the bars with lots of endos, heavy technical riding, and three broken bike frames. The only thing it's missing is the new SiRF receiver, that will help reception in thick foliage. (Not a big issue for me in CA.) You can get the more sensitive SiRF receiver with the GPSMAP60Csx, but it's ~$200 more and won't survive on the handlebars. See
here for Dan'ger's woeful tale of that attempt. (I now carry the 60CSx as a spare in the camelback.)

Some useful links:
eTrex Vista versus GPSMAP60x - with better antennae, but more fragile
My opinion of Garmin Edge for MTB - not as good as for road biker.
Discusson of different models and features
 

·
Two Tired
Joined
·
396 Posts
How do you do it?

BigLarry, how do you get good and consistent reception with the older receiver? You live nearby and must ride the same types of places. Going to places like El Corte de Madera Creek or Big Basin always (every time) produced one or more coverage gaps with my older eTrex Vista. I have ridden the same trails with the Edge and it's SiRF receiver and I consistently get 100% coverage. I really like this since I have build up a network of trail information for the local rides. I still have the Vista but haven't found a reason to use it lately.

You're right about the other units being better for navigation. I am generally pretty good about navigating with or without a map and never used my Vista for this, so I never missed it.

You are also right about distance measurement. I find that my Cateye is much more accurate for distance and speed.

Different gadgets for different needs I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Edge 305 heart rate works well

benja55 said:
So does the HRM on the 305 suck? Thats part of the appeal. I haven't been riding with one for a few years and want to get a new one. Then I spotted all the cool stuff people are doing with the 205/305 and though "why not kill two gadgets with one stone!" :)

But I often find that gadgets that try to do too much often suck ass. :confused:
The Edge 305's heart rate functions work well. I'm also a Polar 725 user, and have multiple hours of simultaneous Edge and Polar logs and they are identical (I wore both straps at once). Some of the derived data is suspect (see another thread somewhere on the calorie count being inaccurate) according to others, but at least in my experience the logged heart rates (and thus average and maximum bpm's) is the same.

The Edge isn't a replacement for a map-oriented GPS like the 60, 76, or Vista, but as a display during the activity (two configurable pages) and a data logger for post-ride analysis, I don't think it can be beat.

I basically have one of each of Garmin's GPS form-factors since 1995. Personally I think the Vista is the low-point of all of their GPS's, and the 60CS is at the top. While the functionality of the Vista is comparable to the 60CS, I think the button UI of the Vista is terrible, and would easily put up with the 60's size for that alone.
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
CheapWhine said:
BigLarry, how do you get good and consistent reception with the older receiver? You live nearby and must ride the same types of places. Going to places like El Corte de Madera Creek or Big Basin always (every time) produced one or more coverage gaps with my older eTrex Vista.....
I ride a lot of open places, like Henry Coe, Sierra Azul, Santa Teresa, Quicksilver, and such where I almost never loose signal. In places like Big Basin I loose the signal briefly, a few seconds or so. In places like Skeggs (ECdM) and Demo, I loose signal for longer stretches, a good fraction of a mile. The WORST is Demo on Hihn's Mill where I can get good reception up the whole way some days, and others get reception only every mile or two.

The better receiver of the SiRFIII indeed helps greatly in preventing loss of signal, and I wish they'd put it on the more rugged Vista. But the loss in signal on the Vista is usually only brief, and often not of much consequence. It's mostly just annoying to see the GPS display blank for a minute or two. Like I said on another thread, the signal always comes back, and doesn't affect the logs that much, even on the bad reception rides. You mostly just need an attitude adjustment. (Like trusting your wife will come back when she goes out the door.)

For example, I recently carried both the Vista and the 60CSx (with the best SiRFIII receiver) at Demo and other heavily wooded Santa Cruz rides. Put side by side, the tracks are almost the same. Shown below is the worst discrepancy I've ever seen, which is on a recent ride at Demo where I lost most all of Hihn's Mill as mentioned above.The Vista track is in yellow and the 60CSx is the brown track underneath. The worst error is 360' between the two tracks on the bottom of Hihn's Mill (and 1500' for the missing part of Highland Rd). Several other Vista tracks, from better reception days, fall right on top of the 60CSx. I lost most all of Hihn's Mill as mentioned above, and the climb up Highland Road.

CheapWhine said:
Different gadgets for different needs I guess .
Overall, on the above Demo ride, I got a distance of 12.0 miles on the Vista and 12.8 miles on the 60CSx. The bike odometer gave something over 13.0. Even the bike odometer messed up when the spoke magnet got knocked on a jump. Nothing's perfect. Now you know why I carry three computers!! (OK, OK, 0gre is right about the propeller. :blush: )
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I just bought a 305HR and mine is very accurate to my cat's eye. Total distance, speed, avg speed, max speed, and total time they all match, the only complaint I have it there is no odometer, thats why I still ride with both.

As for the 2.70 update, I had the same problem. It got to 6% and then computer didn't see the usb device anymore. Unpluged and plugged it back in about 4-5 times to get the computer to see it again, but it did finally update.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top