Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ridin' many miles...
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I posted this to my regional group too, but decided it belonged here, so I cross-posted. Hope that doesn't ruin anyone's day)

Does anyone use a Garmin 301 or any of the other GPS unit's for "training'" or otherwise just for logging rides?

I saw them on sale at REI early this season and grabbed one. It's maybe the best $150 I ever spent.

Anyway, it's great but there is one thing about it I'm kinda frustrated by: When climbing something really steep, I'm riding pretty slow. Apparently this pace drops the GPS unit below the threshold where it thinks I'm resting, and it stops logging ride time and starts logging resting time. I haven't been able to adjust this threshold.

Here's what this does:
It reduces my riding time so it looks like I rode faster and increases my "resting" time.
As I get in better shape and ride faster, (above the "resting" threshold) my riding time increases and it looks like it took me longer to get to some benchmark.

Mt Falcon ( local ride) is a good example:
Let's say it takes me 35 minutes to get to the Gazebo at the top of Mt Falcon from the lot, but I was riding so slowly for a total of 5 minutes that dropped below the threshold and decided I must be "resting". When I get to the top, it says it took me 30 minutes and I rested for 5. My watch tells me it took 35, and I definately feel like I wasn't resting!

The next time I ride it faster and only drop below the threshold for 2 minutes. So this time it took me 33 minutes (or something like that) but when I get to the top it tells me it took me 31 minutes and I rested for 2.

Get it?

So, does anyone else have one of these things, and have they seen this same thing?
When I drill down into the menus I don't see anything that allows me to adjust the "rest" mode threshold. It does this even if I set it in "hiking" mode.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have the same unit. i only used the rest feature for a short time, so i never really noticed the problem u're talking about. i stopped using that feature because i got annoyed with the beeping whenever i stopped to wait for people. i find it keeps more accurate readings on the road. but i recently put a computer back on my ss 29er, and even in the woods it is suprisingly accurate. i love the unit as a whole. it is especially useful for xc skiing in the winter. if anyone knows when they'll release the software for macs i'd appreciate it. i've tried calling them a couple of times, but the estimated wait time is always thirty or forty minutes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pete Gurney said:
i have the same unit. i only used the rest feature for a short time, so i never really noticed the problem u're talking about. i stopped using that feature because i got annoyed with the beeping whenever i stopped to wait for people. i find it keeps more accurate readings on the road. but i recently put a computer back on my ss 29er, and even in the woods it is suprisingly accurate. i love the unit as a whole. it is especially useful for xc skiing in the winter. if anyone knows when they'll release the software for macs i'd appreciate it. i've tried calling them a couple of times, but the estimated wait time is always thirty or forty minutes.
for the first post, under training assistant,auto/pause /lap, you can select pause when stopped, it might work a little better, or you can set it to .5 mph for gps drift.

for the second post, Garmin is supposed to release the Trainng Center Software by the end of the year. Until the go to www.motionbased.com, I have been uploading my rides for a while, I started with the Forerunner 301, now I have a edge.

goodluck

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
You can also turn off the beeping. It's under alerts in, I think, the general settings section.

I think I need to turn my up from 0 as resting because it does tend to think it's moving around, even when stopped.

I love it otherwise, though.

Just wish I could get more consistency out of the actual HRM. Sometimes mine will drop out and nothing I do will get the signal back. I thought I had it figured out with a good cleaning after every ride, but it still dropped out last weekend. Took it off completely and it still kept going between 224 and 128 as heart rates, even though neither of those were the HR of anyone around me, and my monitor was in my camebak. Maybe the camelbak has a HR? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.