Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my Polar s720i and my Garmin eTrex Visa...and bought a Garmin 301.

Super cool gadget with one glaring problem.

It does not track TOTAL elevation gain/loss neither while riding/running, nor in the supplied training software that accompanies the device. Anyone find a workaround to this problem?

It exports workouts in XML format, I'm playing around with Excell to see if I can figure out a way to get those numbers. This sucks and is a HUGE potential drawback to this device!

All I need to do is take each trackpoint with the altitude and compute the delta, keep adding to the end of the workout (throwing out negative gains) and voila. The problem is the output file is XML so it's in ROWS not in rows and columns.

This sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
bikeCOLORADO said:
I just sold my Polar s720i and my Garmin eTrex Visa...and bought a Garmin 301.

Super cool gadget with one glaring problem.

It does not track TOTAL elevation gain/loss neither while riding/running, nor in the supplied training software that accompanies the device. Anyone find a workaround to this problem?

It exports workouts in XML format, I'm playing around with Excell to see if I can figure out a way to get those numbers. This sucks and is a HUGE potential drawback to this device!

All I need to do is take each trackpoint with the altitude and compute the delta, keep adding to the end of the workout (throwing out negative gains) and voila. The problem is the output file is XML so it's in ROWS not in rows and columns.

This sucks.
Trainingpeak.com will let you upload your data then view extra stuff such as elevation gain and maps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I signed up for the trial/demo of motionbased.com and it works...computing elevation totals.

It's a pretty crappy solution to something that should be included, I don't like the idea of paying $8/month for a feature that would be simple to program and is included in all other similar products!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,061 Posts
bikeCOLORADO said:
It exports workouts in XML format, I'm playing around with Excell to see if I can figure out a way to get those numbers. This sucks and is a HUGE potential drawback to this device!

All I need to do is take each trackpoint with the altitude and compute the delta, keep adding to the end of the workout (throwing out negative gains) and voila. The problem is the output file is XML so it's in ROWS not in rows and columns.
Surely a simple Perl (or Python or Ruby or ...) script could be used to either massage the XML output into something more compatible with Excel or could be used to compute the elevation gain directly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
bikeCOLORADO said:
I signed up for the trial/demo of motionbased.com and it works...computing elevation totals.

It's a pretty crappy solution to something that should be included, I don't like the idea of paying $8/month for a feature that would be simple to program and is included in all other similar products!
Do some research before you buy something next time. I have a garmin 301 and I love it. I use with training peaks when I am not using my Power tap Sl.

Carl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
bikeCOLORADO said:
I live with it until I find or create a workaround. I just don't see what would be so difficult for Garmin to include the feature when the data is already there.
I hear ya, its probaly because they are in cohoots with trainingpeaks and motionbased. There thinking is "lets keep the unit as basic as possible (user friendly) and when someone wants more they can upload to our partnership sites. Makes good business sense to me and I think if your willing to shell the money out for the Garmin 301 then your pretty serious about your training. Just giving you an idea on how I feel about the product,

Carl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Sport Tracks software is completely free, and is everything that the Garmin training center should have been. Does elevations, and also allows editing of trackpoints. You can also export/import from GTC to Sportracks. Highly recommended.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Don't be surprised if your elevation information is still wildly inaccurate. I love my 301, but it is not so great at elevations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off...yes Garmin purchased motionbased.com so that bit makes some sense from a business standpoint:
http://clarque.typepad.com/mblog/2005/10/garmin_acquires.html

If you read up on the inherant (sp?) elevation inaccuracies of GPS, it all makes sense why they're that way. My Polar s720i had an altimiter built in that it used to compute elevation gain/loss, hence more accurate.

Apparently a GPS must have a solid lock on four sattelites in order to compute elevation reasonably well, and only a lock on three to compute location.

Motionbased has implemented a new feature called "MB Gravity" to make the elevation gain/loss more accurate, but still works better on less radical terrain:
MB Gravity

Looks like I'm going to end up a full MotionBased member...I'm going to check out Sport Tracks first!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Schroedinger said:
Sport Tracks software is completely free, and is everything that the Garmin training center should have been. Does elevations, and also allows editing of trackpoints. You can also export/import from GTC to Sportracks. Highly recommended.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Don't be surprised if your elevation information is still wildly inaccurate. I love my 301, but it is not so great at elevations.
So I'm mega impressed with SportTracks! This software is lightweight, fast and FREE! Has nearly all the features of MotionBased.com and much more than the Garmin Training Center software and it's FREE.

Oh...did I mention...it's FREE?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Sport Tracks

Thanks for the tip on ST. I downloaded the latest version and configured it for my 301. When I try to download data from my 301 is says 301 is not a recognizable file type. Do I have to import data first into Training Center and then import over to Sport Tacks?

thanks

Schroedinger said:
Sport Tracks software is completely free, and is everything that the Garmin training center should have been. Does elevations, and also allows editing of trackpoints. You can also export/import from GTC to Sportracks. Highly recommended.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Don't be surprised if your elevation information is still wildly inaccurate. I love my 301, but it is not so great at elevations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I imported the data from my Forerunner into Garmin training center, exported from training center to a file (can't remember what format, but I think it was the default), and imported the file to Sporttracks. It worked flawlessly, and kept the activity type in order (which it did not do when I tried to import directly from Forerunner into Sporttracks).
After the initial setup I just import new activities to sporttracks using the "import" command on the bottom left of the screen. Make sure the device is already plugged in via USB before starting the software.
Cheers,
Aaron

93 litespeed said:
Thanks for the tip on ST. I downloaded the latest version and configured it for my 301. When I try to download data from my 301 is says 301 is not a recognizable file type. Do I have to import data first into Training Center and then import over to Sport Tacks?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I open up SportTracks and import directly from the 301. I don't have to do any file conversion.

Open up SportTracks
On the left hand side under "Other Tasks"
Import Data
Select "GPS Devices" on the upper left hand side of the import window.
On the right hand side, select "Add Device"
Select your device and port and it should work perfectly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,152 Posts
I've got the 201, really want the 301 but damn did they jump the price. Why does heart rate functions have to double the price?

Anyway, I just look at the overview of the ride and move the cursor to the low point at the beginning of a climb and then move it to the top, note the elevation change. I do it for each climb and then add it up. It's not hard. Then if you want to get fancy, you can use the same method to figure the average grade for each climb.

BM
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top