Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greg Patrick Garner likes to ride. He likes to drink beer. He likes to build bikes. He has a lot of friends.

For the third year in a row in the middle of January, Greg gathered his friends together to ride, ride, ride. Generous amounts beer, good food, great trails were enjoyed by all from morning until night. Greg also introduced his fine line of fillet-brazed steel bikes, Patrick Bicycles.

The route was 35 miles, about ~4000 feet of climbing. The route was Stevens creek reservoir, canyon trail, grizzly flat, horseshoe lake, russian ridge, montebello preserve back to canyon trail.

The day started out very cold and foggy.

Todd, co-owner of Patrick bicycles gets his brand new Patrick 29er ready for the ride

Bob da Trog from Modesto esplaining how he's not going to get lost this time.

Team Folsom Breakouts enjoying their early release program

Derek tackling the first of many stream crossings.

Jason enjoying the twisty, rooty, singletrack

Joe Steel from mtbr hanging after the first climb

Our guide Colin, making sure we have enough hydration for the rest of the climb

Justin, Scott and Michael refueling.

Jacob, Sondra and Kim climbing on their nice new bikes.

Justin and his yellow Vicious Cycles SS with a Folsom breakout

continued....

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gardner Part 2

..... part 2

Sam smiling/grimacing on the Russian Ridge climb

Megan crushing the climb on her Surly SS

A fine place to take a break...

Riding to the heavens!

Sam shooting the singletrack home

Megan smiling by

Joe steel enjoying his post-ride microbrew

Jun, the korean downhill champ, took a wrong turn and rode alone/lost for four hours!

Our ride leader Colin took one for the team... 30 mph in a 15 mph zone. Damn.

Greg's parents cooking for the kids. You know you got a fine gig when your folks prepare the food and beer for you and your hungry biker friends.

Yes, it's a family affair say the O'briens.

Jen with her prize. Everybody came home with something alcohol related.

Bob da Trog came home with the coveted prize

francois

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
I don't remember...

...my invitation. I must've deleted it by mistake. 8^)

Nice. Does Patrick Bicycles have a website or anything?

Dirty girrrrls on singlespeeds make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I get a smile everytime I see...

Big Rick from Folsom Breakouts riding. Dude's amazing considering what he has been through the last five or so months. Ride on Rick!

Great pics Francois!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roger___ said:
Big Rick from Folsom Breakouts riding. Dude's amazing considering what he has been through the last five or so months. Ride on Rick!

Great pics Francois!
Big Rick is awesome. Meeting the Folsom Breakouts was a highlight for me. I rode beside them all day. What has Big Rick been through?

Where were you and the rest of your Team Sycip bros???

francois

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fast Eddy said:
...my invitation. I must've deleted it by mistake. 8^)

Nice. Does Patrick Bicycles have a website or anything?

Dirty girrrrls on singlespeeds make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
My bad... do you still live here Mr. world traveler?

Patrick Bicycles doesn't have a site yet but I'll have more pictures by tomorrow. Gardner used to weld for Sycip so the quality is tops. I saw a cross bike, 29er, singlespeed and a roadie. Sycip paint too so they're beautiful!

francois

·
just ride
18 Posts
francois said:
My bad... do you still live here Mr. world traveler?

Patrick Bicycles doesn't have a site yet but I'll have more pictures by tomorrow. Gardner used to weld for Sycip so the quality is tops. I saw a cross bike, 29er, singlespeed and a roadie. Sycip paint too so they're beautiful!

francois
Hey guys, It's me Gardner. This weekend was killer-thanks to all who attended. A Patrick Cycles website is in the works, but in the meantime we can be reached at [email protected] or 408-930-4451. Also as Francis said, I'll send some more photos tommorrow. I didn't actually weld for Sycip, but I did learn from him, and was very fortunate to pick up on much of his knowledge and experience. Take care!!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ridingtrails said:
Hey guys, It's me Gardner. This weekend was killer-thanks to all who attended. A Patrick Cycles website is in the works, but in the meantime we can be reached at [email protected] or 408-930-4451. Also as Francis said, I'll send some more photos tommorrow. I didn't actually weld for Sycip, but I did learn from him, and was very fortunate to pick up on much of his knowledge and experience. Take care!!
Hey ya. I heard a rumor you had a Retrotec... and it got stolen! Is that true? Do you have a photo? I can help spread the word since that's a pretty small community of retrotec owners.

I'm selling my Steelman since I've decided to just ride my Retrotec!!

francois

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
He and his dad

were in a van in Mexico when a drunk driver ran them off the hwy. Rick was asleep in the back of the van and was thrown after it flipped four times! He spent some time in a Mexican hospital before they got him back to Cali. Considering the trauma his body has been through, riding is a big deal.

Those guys are a fun group!

Not sure where the other Syciper's were, but I was paying my "suffer" dues on the road up past Colfax yesterday. :D

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Oh yea....

Sycip bought or merged with that really good powder-coating shop up there in Santa Rosa didn't they. Hmmm. Might be worth a look.

I still live here. I don't have any trips currently planned either, so I'm ready to ride.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hey Francois

Do you mind telling me what route you guys took? I have been wanting to get back to Skyline, but everytime I check the main trails are still closed. i.e. RidgeTrail, Longview etc etc. I recognize that Russian Ridge Panorama so I know it's the same place

thanks, looks fun

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
nevermind

Shwaa said:
Do you mind telling me what route you guys took? I have been wanting to get back to Skyline, but everytime I check the main trails are still closed. i.e. RidgeTrail, Longview etc etc. I recognize that Russian Ridge Panorama so I know it's the same place

thanks, looks fun
i just saw it....ill have to look those up on my maps

·
just ride
18 Posts
francois said:
Hey ya. I heard a rumor you had a Retrotec... and it got stolen! Is that true? Do you have a photo? I can help spread the word since that's a pretty small community of retrotec owners.

I'm selling my Steelman since I've decided to just ride my Retrotec!!

francois
Yeah, that rumor is true. it was stolen this past June up in Santa Rosa. It was a 17" seat tube w/ a 25" top tube painted baby blue w/ a cream front end spear design. Full XTR and a FOX TALAS. I would love to get that bike back so the post is appreciated
Greg

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ridingtrails said:
Yeah, that rumor is true. it was stolen this past June up in Santa Rosa. It was a 17" seat tube w/ a 25" top tube painted baby blue w/ a cream front end spear design. Full XTR and a FOX TALAS. I would love to get that bike back so the post is appreciated
Greg
UNREAL! I heard it was brand new too.

I'll post a photo of mine for reference. If anyone spots one of these in baby blue, apprehend the subject! Ask questions later.

I finally got my retrotec all set up. My cranks just arrived yesterday. It's amazing how such a simple bike can be held back by really simple issues. Latest mods are:
- my rear hydraulic cable is finally long enough
- huge 2.5 front tire, with the rigid fork
- 175 cranks instead of 180. This frame is too low for 180 cranks

It's now dialed. This will be my main ride for 2005.

francois

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shwaa said:
i just saw it....ill have to look those up on my maps
The good access points at Peters Creek loop and White Oak trails are closed for the rainy season.

We had to take some roads and fireroads to bypass them.

And don't forget, there's rangers at Stevens Canyon enforcing the 15 mph limit.

francois

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.