Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a few people here I'm using cool products like the Garbaruk 11-50 cassette to give me huge gear ranges that would otherwise require buying a boost bike and getting 12 speed.

I'm having trouble with my Garbaruk cassette absolutely destroying older Shimano free hubs though. So far this year I had a M888 XT freehub shatter like a beer bottle while on vacation in Arizona.

Now a month later and a couple hundred km of riding, and another brand new XT free hub is cracked and in the garbage. I'm on my 3rd one, this time an XTR M988 one.

Has anyone else been riding 12x142 wheels with the Garbaruk 11-50 cassette and had similar failures?

I contacted them through facebook and got an out of office reply 2 weeks ago, and since then nothing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Not exactly Garbaruk, but my DT Swiss 370 got pretty eaten after about two months. Not the catastrophic failures you're seeing, but still.

First thing to ask: are you using the right torque?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not exactly Garbaruk, but my DT Swiss 370 got pretty eaten after about two months. Not the catastrophic failures you're seeing, but still.

First thing to ask: are you using the right torque?
Good question. The right torque on what?

Add one XTR freehub to the list of casualties from this cassette setup.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried everything to upload images but it keeps saying "upload failed"

It's the body of the free hub that usually fails, however with the xtr freehub it's the internal ratcheting mechanism that disintegrates.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've seen a number of XT freehub bodys break apart. Shimano covered all of them. I'm not sure if it's the cassette that's causing them to fail, especially the XTR with internal parts broken.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Good question. The right torque on what?

Add one XTR freehub to the list of casualties from this cassette setup.
Duh, my bad. When you mounted the cassette, did you use the right torque, 40 Nm? Lower will gauge through the splines, high will cause it to break.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duh, my bad. When you mounted the cassette, did you use the right torque, 40 Nm? Lower will gauge through the splines, high will cause it to break.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
One was installed by a shop and it failed, 2 by me, and I didn't use a torque wrench. I've been installing cassettes on freehubs for around 25 years and have never seen one fail like this, but point taken.

Garbaruk finally replied to say that they are unaware of any issues.

My shops parts guys suggested a DT hub, but the cost of swapping to a new wheel is rather huge. For the rest of the season I'm going to give up on Garbaruk + shimano, and go back to an XT cassette 11-46 and just either accept that I have to walk up lots of hills, or go back to 29 x 2.25 tires.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,133 Posts
One was installed by a shop and it failed, 2 by me, and I didn't use a torque wrench. I've been installing cassettes on freehubs for around 25 years and have never seen one fail like this, but point taken.

Garbaruk finally replied to say that they are unaware of any issues.

My shops parts guys suggested a DT hub, but the cost of swapping to a new wheel is rather huge. For the rest of the season I'm going to give up on Garbaruk + shimano, and go back to an XT cassette 11-46 and just either accept that I have to walk up lots of hills, or go back to 29 x 2.25 tires.
You do realize that the difference between 46 and 51 is not huge right? The larger the cogs, the bigger the difference needs to be to make it meaningful. Way more difference between 10 and 12, as far as %. My point is with a 30t front ring, this would probably not be the difference between walking up hills, being that we are talking a small gearing difference.

Also, torque wrenches need to be calibrated on some kind of schedule to be effective, they aren't just a static "solution" for torquing bolts. Bike tool companies want to sell them, which is nice, but in aviation they have to be calibrated, because they "drift" and are sometimes wildly off initially.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.