Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is your derailleur clutch ON or OFF in your photo? I've played around with mine being angled like that and have been worried if left in the ON position there would be too much tension and I might snap my chain as soon as I road over a bump.
Just installed the Garbaruk 1048 XD cassette with XTR MD-9000 (GS medium cage). Works with no problem, the B screw just a bit more in, and adjusting the top stop a bit. Exactly 315 grams. I ordered the Garbaruk Cage mod at the same time (it is an extra $20 or so) just to be on the safe side ... I guess it might be on sale now!
View attachment 1167403

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Is your derailleur clutch ON or OFF in your photo? I've played around with mine being angled like that and have been worried if left in the ON position there would be too much tension and I might snap my chain as soon as I road over a bump.
It might have been off because I just finished installing the thingy ... but I always ride it in the on position, set up on the light side it is buttery smooth ...

BTW: I love the 48. I was on 1042 x 28 and I thought that I was going to put a 30 in front after going 1048. But the 48 x 28 combo goes up a wall! VERY nice! And Garbaruk shows once again how you do not need 12 (or even 11) gears to have a 480-500% range ...

I still think the future should have read 10 speed, 1042 with a DUAL upfront and single DI2 shifting. It is now obvious that to get to to 500% range with 1x you end up with the same weight of the ditto set up ... might as well keep the front derailleur and get a 600-plus% range!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Need some help to decide. I was going to upgrade to GX Eagle with X01 shifter when I found this thread. Garbaruk x11 cassette range looks impressive and can probably save me some reasonable money as one time purchase. But next time, when I will need a new cassette (and I need new one every 6 months), you have to pay ~$250 again, compared to ~$130 for a XG-1275. I have doubts that Garaduk cassette will last twice longer than one from SRAM.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Need some help to decide. I was going to upgrade to GX Eagle with X01 shifter when I found this thread. Garbaruk x11 cassette range looks impressive and can probably save me some reasonable money as one time purchase. But next time, when I will need a new cassette (and I need new one every 6 months), you have to pay ~$250 again, compared to ~$130 for a XG-1275. I have doubts that Garaduk cassette will last twice longer than one from SRAM.
This cassette is more inline with the 500.00 Eagle cassette. It''s not pined like the XG 1275.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks, I do understand that Garbaruk cassette is better than XG-1275 and closer to XG-1299 in terms of weight and quality. Though I wasn't comparing cassettes per se. I seek advise on "budget vs performance vs long term economy" sort of, as written above in my message.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Thanks, I do understand that Garbaruk cassette is better than XG-1275 and closer to XG-1299 in terms of weight and quality. Though I wasn't comparing cassettes per se. I seek advise on "budget vs performance vs long term economy" sort of, as written above in my message.
Sunrace is coming out with (might have already) a 10-50. I have the 11-50 and for the price it isn't bad. But heavy and the Garbaruk and XG 1299 used higher quality steel. But I do have 700miles on mine.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sunrace is coming out with (might have already) a 10-50. I have the 11-50 and for the price it isn't bad. But heavy and the Garbaruk and XG 1299 used higher quality steel. But I do have 700miles on mine.
I have the 11-50 as well. I have about 200 miles on mine and have enjoyed it so far. Shifts great with a medium cage GX shifter. While slightly lesser range than GX Eagle, it's roughly the same weight and only 80$.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
2 questions for you guys:

1) What was the shipping time from the moment you clicked "BUY"?

2) Anyone succesfully running their 50T with a stock XTR derrailer?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
2 questions for you guys:

1) What was the shipping time from the moment you clicked "BUY"?

2) Anyone succesfully running their 50T with a stock XTR derrailer?
It went from 7 (cassette) to 12 days (chainring) for me. XTR seems to have zero problems with 48, you could try and if it does not work I can sell you my Garbaruk cage ;) or order the cassette with the cage, it is only an extra $20 ...

BTW. Now that I spent some good miles on it: I really love my 10-48, it is perfect with 28 in front (I can go up a wall!!) and demonstrates shows how silly 12 speed is!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It went from 7 (cassette) to 12 days (chainring) for me. XTR seems to have zero problems with 48, you could try and if it does not work I can sell you my Garbaruk cage ;) or order the cassette with the cage, it is only an extra $20 ...

BTW. Now that I spent some good miles on it: I really love my 10-48, it is perfect with 28 in front (I can go up a wall!!) and demonstrates shows how silly 12 speed is!
I actually found a video on YouTube today of a guy running the 10-50 with XTR and smooth shifting with no issues.

And dang, 28 up front with a 50T is nuts. I'm running 11-50 on my hardtail with a 30 up front and will probably go to a 32. But the 30/50 is super nice for limping back to the truck at the end of a 40 to 50 mile day!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a LaPierre XR729 full suspension. I installed the 10-50 cassette with the Garbaruk cage on the Sram Xo1 derailleur. Shifting is great in the stand but it will be months before I can ride the trails in VT. I’m debating how to handle the chain length. With the suspension extended I can set the RD as show in the instructions but it is waytoo tight on the 50t when the suspension is compressed. If I add two links it looks like the photos shown above. I would think chain slap and retention could be a problem. I tend to fly on the downhills. My thought is the 50t would only be used on steep climbs, 35-40% at local trail. I can’t think of a scenario where the rear suspension is compressed on a slow climb so I should be ok with the shorter chain, but I don’t want to destroy my RD. Any though on this idea would be appreciated.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,370 Posts
how about durability over longer time ? most cogs are steel, so it should last like for example XT M8000 cassette ?
Should be comparable. Not sure if they use the same type of steel, that could make the lifespan different with either of them, but with mostly steel cogs, the durability is excellent.

41 - 60 of 413 Posts