Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build a garage rack that will hold alot of bikeos and looking for some input/ideas. Definitely needs to be sturdy, keep em organized an outta the way, and want to be able to secure my bikes from tommy robbersons. Pics would be great! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Just use 2 X 8's making a square and then put some on the inside for the tires to fit in. Easy and cheap! Leave some space between the tire slats so the handlebars won't hit. Broseph.

·
Registered
356 Posts
helimech said:
Just use 2 X 8's making a square and then put some on the inside for the tires to fit in. Easy and cheap! Leave some space between the tire slats so the handlebars won't hit. Broseph.
I'm trying to imagine this... but it's not coming to me.

·
Something goes here...
2,028 Posts
Sorry no pic but I hung some 2x4's from my garage rafters and hung some hooks. At one time I have 7 bikes on it but down to 3 now. It's strong enough that I could use it to hoist an engine out of a car. Bikes hang upside down and I've never had an issue with hydro's...well, nothing that hanging upside down has caused. ;)

Not pretty or fancy but gets the rides out of the way so you have plenty of room.

·
Fisher Fanattic
46 Posts
I did a variation of the PVC rack, holds my three bikes and is actually attached to the wall. I will get you some ics when I get home today...I also can get you the measuremeants. My favorite part is its out of the way and even holds my sons toddler bike.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
currently using a 3-bike version of the pvc stand. I've posted some pics on here before but cant find em now. I've had it 2+ yrs, the problems are 1) the pvc glue sometimes fails due to the heat in the garage and constantly getting tugged by the bikes, and 2) variance in your tires - big 2.5 tires and road bike tires can either be too tight or too wobbly.

I'm planning on using the rubbermaid fast rails that you had a pic of. the other thing i considered were the self-standing 2 bike stands.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hooked

I like to keep mine off the ground. It gives me more room to store crap in the garage...
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to also attach a steel eye/hoop to the ceiling with a cable attached to lock the bikes up.

Attachments

·
Dave
899 Posts
Maybe this wants to get an idea of your bike quiver, show just the racks not the bikes.
phishing for nice bikes

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
What a timely thread!

I'm in the process of trying to figure this one out as well. I'd like to know from those with experience, what are the pros and cons of floor versus wall versus ceiling?

I've been considering wall ideas but maybe I haven't been open to other/better options.

I'm currently using my T2 that sits on the floor as a rack but it takes up a lot of room and I have other bikes that need a place. Kids bikes, trail-a-bikes, etc.

The floor option would work for everything but the trail-a-bikes and if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be permanent. That might make a good trial run...

·
Fisher Fanattic
46 Posts
wait to do anything until you see what I have, as I said I will post pics when I get home tonight! It is a triangular PVC set up that can be made for a few or a lot of bikes. and attaches to the wall, when bikes are not there it takes up very little space.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Noelg said:
I'm in the process of trying to figure this one out as well. I'd like to know from those with experience, what are the pros and cons of floor versus wall versus ceiling?

I've been considering wall ideas but maybe I haven't been open to other/better options.

I'm currently using my T2 that sits on the floor as a rack but it takes up a lot of room and I have other bikes that need a place. Kids bikes, trail-a-bikes, etc.

The floor option would work for everything but the trail-a-bikes and if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be permanent. That might make a good trial run...
Must be that time of the year. Just this last weekend, I was looking for some DIY plans for the racks I see out at 24HOP. I currently have one similar to the one Helimech has. But we need to find space for 7 bikes, so hanging our bikes is not an option. I just stuck the rack in the corner of the garage, and the bikes fit very nicely.

I would like to build something that allows you to hang from the seat to bring to races for easy storage.

·
Two wheels are better
193 Posts
I have always wondered if there is any problems with the hanging racks that use the wheel? Seems like it could cause it to go out of true??

·
Registered
45 Posts
beardedstealth said:
I have always wondered if there is any problems with the hanging racks that use the wheel? Seems like it could cause it to go out of true??
No, think of it this way. With it sitting on it's tires like normal, there are 20-40 pounds of bike weight on the wheels. With it hanging upside down, there's still the same 20-40 pounds on those wheels, just in a different direction.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Which ever rack you decide, In addition put a anchor bolt in your cement floor and run a cable through your bike to deter thieves. ( i got pics of this set up but cant figure out how to post them.) Help anybody?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts