Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a bicycle with FH-M535-L hub and when the brakes are pulled the rotor stays fixed however the hub moves about 1mm. There is no move on the front wheel, I also went to bicycle shop and checked some other new bicycles with same brake/hub system and they also dont move. I am wondering if this can be considered normal or the rotor serrations or rotor is somehow damaged?

Thanks,
Evren

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rotor does not move left-right direction, it only moves in the direction which the wheel is turning (both ways), if the lockring was loose wouldnt the rotor wiggle left and right also? (well in either case lockring looks tight as well)

·
Registered
369 Posts
The movement is the pads inside the caliper... because they are not attached to the pistons (like Hayes), they move a little bit as you rock the wheel back and forth... this is something that you will NEVER experience on the trail though so don't worry... it also happens with Avid's ...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think this in not normal. Maybe the "teeth" of the centerlock on the hub or on the rotor is damaged?
What is the brake type?
You can also cross-post in the "Brake Time" forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dhpimp, I am 100% sure that the pads or the rotor is not moving. I can also see the movement between rotor and hub.

stmarti, that is what I am thinking. I just wanted to get some opinions before leaving the bicycle in service :)

The brakes are hydraulic disc brakes but there is nothing effecting the breaking actually. The disc just turns about 1mm only. Nothing to notice while riding. What I was worried was if the teeth on the hub or the rotor are damaged, it might be getting worse and worse every time I brake

Thanks,
Evren

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
One spline tooth wouldn't make any difference as there are another 70-80 splines that should be keeping the rotor from moving. Take the wheel off and (wearing a pair of gloves to keep skin oil off the rotor) see if you can rotate the rotor on the hub. If you can feel any play in that rotor to hub interface return that for warranty replacement right away. If the splines fail you'd lose braking ability.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
My buddies XT hub and rotor have the same play. His center lock lock ring is as tight as it will go. It seems like a slight variance in dimensions allowing a slight amount of for-aft play in the rotor. Not much at the hub but it becomes much more by the time the play reaches the outer most diameter of the tire. It does have the same sensation as loose fitting pads. No big deal... definately can't be felt on the trail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.